how to get to the mot centre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my old car Registered as SORN for two years, but I would like to know how would get it to a MOT centre when it is not taxed, would I need it towed by a recovery vehicle or would I be allowed to drive it there on the condition that I was only driving it to the garage and home again which I doubt but someone in the pub said you can, pub talk I think.
any help.

Sponsored Links
As long as it is insured I believe you are allowed to drive a car to a pre arranged MOT at a test centre, check with the MOT station as they should know the full score.

I've heard this too that as long as your insured and the MOT is booked then it's okay provided your straight there and back. I guess you'll want to only get insurance for a day or so in case it fails MOT so best to talk to your insurance people as well.

Post back how you get on please cause I'll be in the same situation in a couple of months when my project car is finished.

Sponsored Links
chuckle bros said:
...would I need it towed by a recovery vehicle
Yes - it would need to be not just towed, but lifted 100% off the road.

...or would I be allowed to drive it there on the condition that I was only driving it to the garage and home again...
No. The law is unambiguous on this - unless the car is licensed you cannot park or use it on a public road.

The reality is that the police recognise the impracticality of this particular law, and if you can show that you were driving straight to, or straight back from, a pre-booked MOT test then they will not report you to the LVLA.

On the back of an MOT failure notification it states :-

You vehicle has failed to meet the regs. You must get it repaired ASAP.

It is an offence to drive MoT'less, EXCEPT in the following circumstances -

1) Taking it to test BOOKED IN ADVANCE
2) Bringing it home afterwards
3) "TAKING IT TO OR BRINGING IT AWAY FROM A PLACE, WHERE BY
PREVIOUS ARRANGEMENT, REPAIRS ARE TO BE OR HAVE BEEN MADE TO REMEDY THE DEFECTS FOR WHICH THE VEHICLE WAS FAILED."

(The vehicle/driver must have valid insurance when the vehicle is on the public highway.)
MikeD

Softus said:
chuckle bros said:
...would I need it towed by a recovery vehicle
Yes - it would need to be not just towed, but lifted 100% off the road.

...or would I be allowed to drive it there on the condition that I was only driving it to the garage and home again...
No. The law is unambiguous on this - unless the car is licensed you cannot park or use it on a public road.

The reality is that the police recognise the impracticality of this particular law, and if you can show that you were driving straight to, or straight back from, a pre-booked MOT test then they will not report you to the LVLA.

Sorry Softus, but you are wrong.
You are permitted by law to drive an unlicenced vehicle, with or without valid MOT, directly to and from a pre-booked test but the vehicle must still be insured.

stuartinlancashire said:
Just on the note of insurance, I understand that most policies are void if the vehicle does not have a valid tax disc :confused:

Maybe so under any other circumstances, but I'm not sure?
Definately not so in the circumstance of driving to and from a pre-booked mot as this is the only time it is legal to have an unlicensed vehicle on the road.

The car needs to have a valid tax disc to drive on the road even to the MOT place . You can drive it without an MOT Cert though as long as its booked in .

When can an untaxed vehicle be used on a public road?
An untaxed vehicle cannot be used or kept on a public road.

There is one exception:

You can drive an untaxed vehicle on a public road to and from a pre-arranged:

MOT testing station
VIC testing station
an approved vehicle weight testing station which covers design weight certificate or plated revenue weight
reduced pollution test
provided that adequate insurance cover for your use of that vehicle is in place

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022058

Sponsored Links
Back