passing cables through layers of insulation (help please)

Until you hit a joist/noggin.
Call me mr negative, but it's not easy even fishing across a ceiling that has no filler in it!

Sponsored Links
OP has said it's only 1.2m. between each hole.

C'mon. Let's be more positive.
Don't talk to me about positive.

Correction - it's 1.25m. - It'll be impossible.

I was in aldi the other day and they had a set of wiring rods for less than a tenner

OK...

Progress (partially). I manage to connect 2 of the three holes with cables. i used a drain rodding system that I had. I am now stuck on the last one! I may try a good ole fashion steel hanger if I can get my hands on it.

Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Drill another interim hole and keep the disc that falls out, use hole to assist routing, cut a rectangle of wood: width the diameter of the hole, length 1.5x the diameter. Partly wind a screw into it centrally to use as a handle, fit wood by pushing into hole and aligning. Use wood glue to fix and leave to set, next day use screw to attach circle cutout. Fill edges with some filler, sand and paint

Also, Aldi had inspection cameras the other day.. Kinda like a camera on a bendy rod, hand held screen. No idea on quality, but may suffice. I've also set the iPhone on video mode, enabled e light and pushed the camera part into the ceiling hole before now, keeping the body of the phone in the room to look at the screen. It's helped, if only to confirm I've completely missed putting a wire in. Yes, insulation filler makes the job a bit harder, but you might be able to poke it out of the way...

I have a Ring video borescope and it is very handy (Costco) although mine doesn't record as some do

Aldi offer a money back guarantee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back