Passing Gas Safety Check on Gas Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Would welcome your advice on a problem i have with a Gas hob....

The kitchen adjoins a lean to conservatory, hence the door & kitchen window do not directly open onto fresh air.. The gas hob failed the Landlords Cert.

Would you suggest this is a passable solution. Have a 9"x6" louvered vent installed in the kitchen door, and another 9"x6" vent installed in the lean to conservatory wall or door. My gas engineer said No, but said it would pass with no door in kitchen? as conservatory has a window and door to outside.. i'm struggling to work out the logic?

Anybody know the regulations, is it Black & white? Or is my Gas engineer being extra pernickety!

Thanks

Paul www*******.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Gas hobs are a pita now.

Room volume can make a difference to whether you need additional ventilation.
An alternative would be a vent or extractor direct to outside.

Did the RGI issue the certificate?
How did he leave the hob classified?

How big is your kitchen ? (length x height x width) and do you have an extractor ducted directly to outside, as already said gas hobs are a pita, seems impossible to get two gas safes bods to agree.

Hi petit_pablo

Thank you for your quick reply!

The kitchen is approx 20 cubic metres.
It is awkward to direct vent/extractor to outside, instead of that it would be easier to fit a ceramic hob..

I was promised an email with reasons etc and an invoice that night, must be a week ago now, nothing received and they have no payment yet!

Hob is brand new, and passed emissions test.. Gas supply was left turned off, and an official Gas safe notice on hob..

Guess its looking like a ceramic hob!! or can i vent through kitchen door and another vent in the conservatory?

Sponsored Links
Hi Picasso

I have no Duct direct to outside.
The kitchen is 3m x3m with a low ceiling say 2.2m

Excuse my lack of knowledge... But what is a pita?

Thanks

A vent into the conservatory wouldn't work as the size of the vent would have to be huge and wouldn't be able to be closeable and no fly screen. A extractor fan to the outside needs to be connected to the hob so the hob
Can't be used until the fan is on, the best thing would be a ceramic hob.
This would also not need a gas check every year so would save your
Money.

Hi Picasso

I have no Duct direct to outside.
The kitchen is 3m x3m with a low ceiling say 2.2m

Excuse my lack of knowledge... But what is a pita?

Thanks

Pita = pain in the ass, Not sure why your hob is switched off, it should be classified as ncs and noted on the gas cert, although to save the hassle every year it might be easier to change to a ceramic hob.

Hi NorfolkBoilerMan

Thank you for advice, looks like i may be fitting a ceramic hob...

Still confused as to how it passes with no kitchen door on hinges... I wonder is that because of the volume added by the conservatory? Or is it because the conservatory has a door and window direct to the outside?

Paul
wwwxxxxxxxxx.co.uk

Pita = pain in the ass, Not sure why your hob is switched off, it should be classified as ncs and noted on the gas cert, although to save the hassle every year it might be easier to change to a ceramic hob.
Lack of ventilation on a flueless cooker / job is AR.

Thank you

When i googled pita and gas hobs i found nothing... No wonder!!!

Oops sorry Mr Moderator for including link... won't do it again!! apologies

Thank you all for your replies

Just need a ceramic hob to match my Howdens Gas Hob now

Cheers

Thank you Petit_Pablo & Picasso

I just read the flow chart and was very confused, perhaps it is a grey area and not Black & White..

Anyway i need to pass Gas Safe every year, with my boiler... so a ceramic hob i think will need installing in the kitchen..

Thank you for the Flow Chart & advice

Much appreciated

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back