PAT on Washing Machine and Fridge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice on testing a washing machine and fridge?, this is for a landlady certificate (or landperson), to be PC.
I suggest using a portable appiance tester, although not a portable unit; but basically similar electrically IMO.

Jaymack

Sponsored Links
If you are doing PAT Testing than you will have a copy of the Code of Practice? Have a look on page 15 and it will tell you that included is:

Portable - <18 kg , easily moved.
Movable – 18kg or less and not fixed, equipment with wheels
Hand held – hair dryer drill soldering iron etc .
Stationary - >18kg no carry handle(Refrigerator washing machine)
Fixed – secured appliance in specific location (bathroom heater, towel rail)
Appliances in enclosure (built in oven) typically these appliances do not have a normal cover on all four sides, as one or more sides will be concealed by an enclosure
Information Tech equipment. (includes all office desktop, fax’s, printers etc)

TTC

afaict the general rule seems to be that anything that is plugged in and even sometimes things that aren't gets pat tested.

i think the test rules vary by category though and if doing this professionally you probablly wan't to read up on it/

plugwash said:
afaict the general rule seems to be that anything that is plugged in and even sometimes things that aren't gets pat tested.

i think the test rules vary by category though and if doing this professionally you probablly wan't to read up on it/

You're right. That because most companies that sell PA testing are thiefs and I would say that 99.9% of all PA testing that's done is not required.

Taylor, you should also read HSE(G) 160(L) ISBN0717607194.

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
You're right. That because most companies that sell PA testing are thiefs and I would say that 99.9% of all PA testing that's done is not required.
thats a lot!?! what kindof things account for this 99.9%? -or is it doing things yearly that could have been done bi-yearly? -or what?

It's just some companies like to cover their backs. By doing this they get all their equipment tested. If you find any mobile phone chargers on site for example, then they should be tested too. As should drill etc battery chargers

Pretty much anything with a 110v or 230v plug on.

Not many people currently get their house PA Tested. Mostly just OAP care homes. A lot of Universitys say now that you have to have all your gear tested.

sm1thson said:
Pensdown said:
thats a lot!?! what kindof things account for this 99.9%? -or is it doing things yearly that could have been done bi-yearly? -or what?

You're right, part of it is doing the testing yearly when there is no need but most of it is testing appliances that don't need to be tested. PC's printers, drinks machines, fax machines and copiers just need a documented visual inspection. Of course you should test high risk appliances but you don't find many of them in an office.

However, you will find most of them in the back of your van. Extension leads, power tools, battery chargers, hand lamps, site transformers heat guns.

When was the last time you PA tested you're own tools and do you keep a record? :LOL:

I would agree that most of it is ignorance on the part of the customer and even if you put the documentation in front of them they still don't beleive you. So in away you can't blame companies for ripping them off

TTC said:
Aha, Pensdown. I guess you must be getting a commission from HSE. Is this one of yours?
:LOL: From enemy No.1.. I wish.

The text I posted was direct from my 2377 course. I hope you arent going to tell me its wrong?????
:cry: Sorry

If I get a chance tomorrow I will scan the actual page that your post refers to so that you can make up your mind.

That newsletter was sent out in 1996 when the whole country went PAT mad. IIRC 1996 was one of the recession years and work was tight,. However, we ended up with some really good long term clients by telling them the truth, probably more than those who jumped on the PAT band wagon.

Pensdown.............
.........................is that you with the blonde wig and skirt on....... :LOL: :LOL:

( sorry, rainy day and sod all better to do!! ;) )

anyone would think I had swore or sumfink...I only put s-o-d :eek:

lizzieg...wig? I'm a natural blonde :LOL: ..and as for the skirt, it's a weekend thing :eek: ;)

Taylor, this is taken from the IEE Code of practice for in service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment.

Pat1.jpg

File0021.jpg

So Jamack's washing machine & fridge don't need PA testing because they are within a domestic property, unless of course the tenant can bluff a member of the public to do their washing :LOL:

And also note that Initial has been highlighted by the IEE. In an office section (a) would apply to IT kit so the testing period can be extended from 48 months to whatever is felt appropriate, IMO never because they only have a desk life or around 5 years max. If you give them a documented visual inspection when they are new and every time they are moved you're within the guidelines.

Also note the last paragraph because the HSE documents are far less specific.

The first 2 lines sum up the regs and IMO the rest has been interpreted by companies to drum up business, but i would like to know other peoples interpretation of the above.

umm where does it say that PCs don't need to be tested, they are class 1 appliances in most cases (other than laptops) so the only exception to testing they list doesn't apply.

indeed you could class PCs and the mains leads associated with them in a rough environment as quite high risk because of the class 1 nature and relatively high earth currents.

You asked where is says PCs don't need testing? In the first paragraph it says nothing needs testing. It's completely up to the nominated "competent" person to decide how they maintain equipment to prevent danger.

I agree that a PC with a trailing lead in a factory will need testing, or at least the lead will but a PC, which is a low risk appliance under a desk in a low risk environment only needs a visual inspection.

It also says that the visual inspection is more important than testing which I agree with.

We test all of our site high risk bits and pieces and document the visuals on the office equipment. We do get HSE inspections and they are more than happy.

Pensdown said:
You asked where is says PCs don't need testing? In the first paragraph it says nothing needs testing. It's completely up to the nominated "competent" person to decide how they maintain equipment to prevent danger.
i tend to read that sort of thing as saying that you don't have to follow the guidence but you'd better have a damn good justification that your soloution is as safe as theres.

and according to the tables reccomendations all class 1 equipment should be tested though the intervals vary.

I agree that a PC with a trailing lead in a factory will need testing, or at least the lead will but a PC, which is a low risk appliance under a desk in a low risk environment only needs a visual inspection. (sorry screwed up when manipulating the quote tags and accidently left a block of someone elses text outside tem)

It also says that the visual inspection is more important than testing which I agree with.
agree totally, testing the case blindly won't spot exposed live parts etc

anyway getting back ontopic the original poster of this thread has been asked to test those appliances for a landlord. Given that his job is to test those appliances (which seems an eminently reasonable thing to do given how the tennant could have messed with them) a PAT tester would be the device to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back