Patch of hollow plaster, uncovered unknown material... help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly this is my first post so please bear with me.

After removing some horrible shelves in an alcove in preparation to re-paint and spruce up my dining room I've discovered a patch of plaster that sounds very hollow when knocked (the wall around it sounds fine). After painting it white in preparation i noticed a darker patch was showing through so new that further investigation was needed. I cut out a little section to investigate what was underneath, the top layer came off very easily and underneath looks like a sort of cement which is also crumbly (see attached photos).

I was wondering if anyone could identify what this is and the best way to go about fixing it? The total hollow sounding patch i about 30 x 45 cm. Please note that the images are displayed horizontally when they should be vertical.

Many thanks in advance.

Pete

Sponsored Links
I think it was built about 1880 to 90

I've had other rooms stripped back and replastered and this wasn't apparent with those rooms.

Any ideas what could have caused the patch to appear and how to go about fixing it?

Thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
Inspect your gutters and drain pipes to see if they are ok. Look at the pointing or render on the outside as well. Looks like you have a damp issue as well.

Ash lime was commonly applied to outside walls (gable-ends) to add strength to the wall.

When you have sorted the damp issue out you can hack off the blown plaster and re-do it, I would use lime render and add some the the skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back