Patches on wall paint issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wondered if anyone could give advice on my problem please. Our house was a new build around 10 years ago, this is the first time this room has been painted since the original finish. I am changing it from Magnolia to White. I am using McPherson Eclipse emulsion as this is what the house was originally painted with by the builders, and a 12" Hamilton Perfection green roller. When doing the first coat all was going well until I noticed some small patches around the size of a large coin where the paint is failing to stick and cover properly. As this was a new built there were a few plasterboard screw holes that needed sanding and filling but these are not where any of these patches are. Any advice how to treat these so that I get a good finish with the final coat?

There are around a dozen of these patches around the room, I have attached a photo of the worst area where there are 4 patches in a small area (hopefully you can see them in the photo), this is quite high up on the wall, so nobody would have touched it and I never noticed any issue with the finish before painting. I have repainted a few other rooms in the house already without issue.

Attachments

• 20210913_143355.jpg
    20210913_143355.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
Your picture isn't blowing up for me but it could be spot bonding where they've attached the plasterboard. Also it could be filler spots. Maybe even grease spots but dunno how they'd get high up the wall. Give them a slight sanding. I use a touch of acrylic primer/undercoat on any filler spots and it does a great job. Then when the primer is dry touch it up with the actual wall colour and then do the whole wall again.
If they come through again just give it longer to dry out. You may find the rest of the wall is drying a lot faster than where the spots are and they may be gone after half a day.

Thanks for your reply, you're right after waiting the patches have dried out and can't really be seen now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back