Patching around pipes from a stove as they enter the ceiling??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone have any advice on how to patch the holes around the pipes that carry the water to/from the thermal store. The pipes are external and off from the wall, but where they enter the ceiling cavity the existing "filler" is a right dogs dinner, some form of mastic by the look and feel of it. I've cut it all out, but now planned to use Wickes "Patching Plaster" to fill around it.
Can anyone advise how to pack out around the pipes and what with? I'm considering using a bit of chicken wire possibly with newspaper binded into it(seriously..) so that there's a backing to plaster against. But not sure about paper either despite there being no direct heat from the stove just theoretically the heat from the pipes above the new plaster...but I can't seem to get a definitive answer as to whether this is dangerous and the heat from the pipes could cause ignition, these pipes do approach very high temperatures close to boiling presumably....
Was planning to plaster it then put the fire on at a very low heat to expand the pipes as it sets so that it doesn't hopefully crack....
Anybody dealt with this type of work that can help??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back