Patchy Lawn Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Last sumer I used some weed killer on some lawn weeds and hadent read the instructions correctly.
I since have several patches about 4 inch square, that have no grass etc.
What can I do to get grass growing again?

Sponsored Links
What on earth did you use? Any normal weedkiller would be gone by now.

Sponsored Links
Yes, remove dead grass. Add soil to correct height and seed with appropriate grass seed. Water well/regularly :)

You could also nick a bit of turf from a back corner of your garden

Do you put the seed under the soil or on top?

Blimey. it's at times like this that I realise not everyone watched Gardeners World every week for their entire childhood...

I suggest reading the instructions on the seed packet. Most likely it will tell you to cover it with a quarter-inch of soil, or something.

You will need to exterminate all pigeons in the neighbourhood first :)

You could do that, but turf from your own garden will probably be a better match in terms of colour and type of grass.

Well, in my experience a patch of different turf does blend in eventually. Really you just have to decide whether you want to look at flimsy grass for a while as the seed takes hold, or a bit of new turf which fills the gap right away but might be more lush than its surroundings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back