Can't seem to kill lawn weeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got some weeds in our lawn, and no matter what I do I cannot seem to kill them.
So far this year, the lawn has had 2 treatments of Evergreen 4-in-1, and also some direct application weed killer for lawn weeds.

All that seems to have happened is the grass has grown back thicker, but the weeds have spread if anything!

2WksOjJ.jpg

Does anyone know what these are and how I can kill them. They're taking over the lawn!

Sponsored Links
no need to buy a multi-content treatment. Just a hormone weedkiller will do it and is better value. Don't mow for a few days or a week before or after. It must be good growing weather and not rain for a day or so after application. You will see the weeds curl up before they die.

I use a liquid that you mix up in water and apply with a fine-rose watering can, usually Verdone. A good tip to do it evenly (no missed patches or overdosed ones) is to do it in two applications, each using half the required amount. Do one up and down the lawn, the second side to side. This reduces the chance that you will miss a bit. You have to apply it to the leaves and give it time to be absorbed and to move down to the roots.

I think the instructions say two applications a year, I sometime spot-treat any that are not dead part way through the summer.

There is still time to do one treatment as the summer is not over yet. Be very careful not to let any fall or drift onto wanted plants, especially tomatoes which are very sensitive. I walk round slowly and carefully doing the edges, then fill in the rest.

Keep a special watering can for weedkillers. Mine is red to avoid getting any traces on other plants.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdone-Extra-Liquid-Concentrate-Killer/dp/B005AV569Y
Now rebranded as Weedol lawn weedkiller, be sure to get the right one as there are a few different Weedols.
http://www.wilko.com/weed-killers+weed-guards/weedol-extra-lawn-weed-killer-500ml/invt/0025450

Weed identification:
http://www.lawnweeds.co.uk/weedidentification.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd suggest getting someone in with a proper flat nozzle sprayer to give it a once over with relay. One treatment a year sees my lawns perfectly weed free. It's easy to overdose with a watering can and kill patches of grass.

Don't dig up daisies; life's too short!

Try Verdone (Weedol) Im trying my first application at the moment, my garden looks like your. Will give is a 2nd application after this weekend. Will post some pics up late next week.

I'd suggest getting someone in with a proper flat nozzle sprayer to give it a once over with relay. One treatment a year sees my lawns perfectly weed free. It's easy to overdose with a watering can and kill patches of grass.

Don't dig up daisies; life's too short!

Relay is actually banned now due to some Health & Safety rubbish. If you have it, you've got until December 31st to dispose of it.

Any suggestions on anything else?

@snappyfish I've tried Weedol but it doesn't seem to shift these things. Maybe i'll wait until Spring and get the scarifier on it and give it a proper treatment of something

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back