Path above DPC advise required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a house which has an extension. Around the extension there is a raised path which from what I can tell is approx 1.2 maximum above the DPC. I have asked the vendor (who is an NHBC builder who actually built the extension) about this and if the extension is tanked but have not had straight answer.
I have looked at the plans at the council which show the DPC at 150mm above ground level and no raised path around the extension. Building control say they approved the work but could say if it covered the raised path.
What I need to know is can the path be installed above the DPC; if so should the wall be protected and should there be a DPC above raised path.
If the path is built on concrete does this make any difference

Any help appriciated

Andrew

Sponsored Links
You could have bridging issues, if the path is level or raised above the DPC.
This really should not happen and sounds like a cowboy has been at work and could not be bothered to dig out, if the path can only be laid above the DPC level, a channel and drainage should be installed along the side of the house in between the path.

Under the Freedom of Information Act you can get copies of the Approved drawings, although if the tanking (or not) did not form part of the application it will be a pointless exercise (assuming it was done under a full plans app which it may well not have been anyway). When was the extensions built? Has to be said it seems odd that the builder is not more forthcoming with more info! :!:

There are many instances where the paving encroaches or is even higher than the dpc and can not be lowered for obvious reasons.

In instances like this, we fit the dpc higher on the outside course as to accommodate the rise in paving levels, even if it means stepping the dpc.

Also, if there is a chance that paving will be returned to their correct levels, we sometimes incorporate a double dpc, i.e. one at the correct level and one higher up.

I have also had to fit a lead flashing at paving splash level for the same reasons as above though this is rather unsightly.

Have you experienced any problems?

What type of facing brick are we talking about?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
I have spoken to the vendor again and he is now saying that the area of the extension below ground level is tanked. He has agreed to meet me at the property to discuss what was carried out
The extension is built of stone.
Can anyone advise what questions I should ask should be looking for?

I've taken a photo of the path, it show the steps on one side of the extension. The max heigt of the steps is about 1.2m, the dark patch on the wall is where a gutter has been leaking.
Appriciate any comments on the construction of the path

Appriciate any comments on the construction of the path
Th path looks fine to me.

Unfortunately the path is located in an alley formed by the two buildings.
In this situation there is always the risk of water hanging around as it is trapped and has little chance to naturally evaporate.

Even with decent falls to the paving this alleyway will always suffer with dampness in the winter.

The leaking gutter will need to be fixed pronto.

Noseall many thanks for comments
Do think the path is constructed correctly in relation to the DPC as I cannot see a DPC above the path. If the area of wall below the path is tanked would this be ok? Would be worth installing a drain channel at the edge of the path/wall to drain water to the lowest level?

Surely the path is there to get you from one level to the next regardless of dpc?
It is no good lowering the path if you then have to climb a ladder to get out.

I can not see where the dpc is in relation to the path.

So, if the path and its current level are to stay you then need to think about protecting the wall from damp via a lead flashing and/or damp proof membrane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back