Pave or screed a patio

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
There is an L-shaped path round the back of the house, with a 3m-sq square outside the patio doors. It was a put down when the house was built, maybe 20 years ago. It has settled a bit and slopes towards the house enough for water and dirt to settle. There is a crack half way along the path bit.

I would like it raised by about 100mm with a fall away from the house, and possibly a raised step outside the patio door, where the threshold dpc is 4 courses above the path (the dpc is otherwise 3 courses or more above, depending on the settlement).

I have in mind paving slabs set on wet s&c, with the joints grouted with one of those squirty things, or I was wondering about casting more concrete on top with a brushed finish, and a joint over the existing crack.

Any reason why one would be better than the other?

here it is

View media item 4848

Sponsored Links
Bedded slabs usually accounts for 75mm or so.

You could either lay a mix of screed all over the site first, rough trowel it and let it set. Or go stiff mix - wet mix and start slabbing from the off.

We tend to joint as we go using the bedding mortar for the joints forming a solid uninterrupted and continuous mortar joint that is fully bonded to the bed.

A bit like bricklaying. You don't see brickies trying to add perp's after the brick is laid.

However, if there is the threat of rain, we do not bother jointing as this can get very messy. In this instance we do point afterwards.

I believe there should be at least 2 courses below dpc, so check how much it will rise if you put slabs. I am just going to brake the patio that the previous owner made - he left only one course before the dpc and it causes all sorts of problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back