patio at same level as internal floor, above DPC, thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build a patio that would be at the same height as the internal floor. So that as you go out through some french doors the patio is at the same level. This will be above the DPC, hence my plan is as follows:

* Patio will slope away from house
* Linear drain between patio and house.
* Balck Ubiflex flashing 200mm high on the brick work to prevent water from splashing on to the brick.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Is this a new extension or in the existing house?

In a new build its easy as you can just use a cavity tray built into the wall.

In an existing building its much harder and most solutions are a compromise of some sort. your plan doesn't sound terrible but will be pretty ugly.

The house was built in 1982 and has cavity walls. Not so worried about it been ugly much more about preventing damp.

What is the best way to do this?

Sponsored Links
I doubt the OP will think that's any business of our's.

OP, any of the above would "work" but as you know, its not an ideal situation and throws surveyors into a tizzy when you come to sell. Have you considered instead building generous steps at that height, so you can still step over the threshold at the floor height?

Hi thanks for your comments. I'm trying to get a look something like this:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/sites/default/files/images/47(1).jpg

whole article:
http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/design/design-guides/design-style/inside-outside

so that the outside space has a minimal transistion between inside and out. The patio area (and the whole garden) is quite small so I also want to minimise any steps and changes of levels to make it seem bigger than it is.

I really would be interested on the the best way of doing this whilst mainiting the levels. Be it vertical membranes, bitumen or something else.

I doubt the OP will think that's any business of our's.
It's not a question of being nosey.

It's a question of understanding if there's a particular requirement or problem to be solved, for which people here might have other suggestions.

Anyway - here's one, which isn't based on knowing why the patio has to be at that level:

Install a patio roof, flashed into the wall, then there won't be a need for a drain, or problems with water splashing up onto the brickwork. It also makes the patio more usable.

Hi thanks for your comments. I'm trying to get a look something like this:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/sites/default/files/images/47(1).jpg[/QUOTE]
Just to get things in context, those speakers are £15K a pair....

Anyway - that photo shows gravel - presumably it's in a drain.

That would look nicer than a metal cover. A cool effect would be to fill it with crushed glass covering an LED ropelight.

so that the outside space has a minimal transistion between inside and out. The patio area (and the whole garden) is quite small so I also want to minimise any steps and changes of levels to make it seem bigger than it is.
Go with the roof, to deal with the rain problem. Install hardwood flooring which you extend onto the patio, and have sliding doors with the bottom track let into the boards.

innovative_house_japan_komada_context.jpg

I know this sounds daft but one small problem you may have is that every time you open the door the outside world will get blown in.

My garage floor is level with the ground outside and you literally open the door for a minute and leaves, dust, grit, gravel etc have all leapt inwards and covered the place. Gets right on my tits.

I know this sounds daft but one small problem you may have is that every time you open the door the outside world will get blown in.

My garage floor is level with the ground outside and you literally open the door for a minute and leaves, dust, grit, gravel etc have all leapt inwards and covered the place. Gets right on my ****.

I've planned to have a level threshold from a paved patio to the inside with a new extension with sliding folding doors and the same thing just occurred to me. I've been looking for confirmation of this, which you have done!

I think most of the pictures of these designs have a level deck on the outside, which is raised from ground level so not subject to stuff blowing in. Where it is level with ground, I reckon it would only be suitable for protected outside spaces.

Anyone else have experience of this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back