Path above drain sounds hollow ...

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The concrete path that runs alongside my house, under which is the main drain, sounds hollow in part - when tapped. Should I worry? Concrete has been built up at some point - we had damp issues in the floor inside, but I think just an airbrick issue. Also, gutter seems to be leaking a little at the join. I think that is the cause of the wet patch on the ground.
I have a video, but just realised its on my phone, so will add that later.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to worry about The footings of the house will be deeper than the drain - it's part of the sewerage undertakers network, and not your responsibility. Get the gutter fixed. The concrete is probably over voids in the hardcore under - just what I have outside my front door, but as the slab has cracked and dropped I'm going to re do it this sumer.

Possible ground below had shrunk/subsided, creating a void. Without breaking the concrete out you wont know for sure, depends what traffic is using that path and how far you want to go.

Sponsored Links
looking at your video, I think it's very likely that you have a clay gulley which is cracked or broken, and the long-term escape of water has washed away the soil around it, so there is now a cavity under the concrete.

You can drill a hole through the concrete if you like and poke down it. Probably you will find soap-scented mud, and some red worms.

Hmm, that doesn't sound good....

I've got 50p saying the concrete has been poured over broken bricks and there's ash stuff under it that's settled.

I wonder how it knew it should only settle near the drain.

A main drain is mentioned by the OP- are there any laterals or gullies ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back