Path drainage concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

I used to have a concrete path between the house and garage, which I had to smash up to run a new oil line to the house. Bonus was the idea of making it into a much nicer gravel path (the concrete was ancient and ugly).

We never had any standing water issues when the path was concrete.

I haven't really done anything to make the new path yet, simply pulled out all the concrete and laid some sand down.

My concern is we've just had a couple of hours of thunderstorms and while everything else in the garden and outside is fine, this is what happened to the path:

https://imgur.com/w8W43ZC

That's a lot of standing water right up against the house. What I don't understand is why it should happen when there is sand and soil, instead of the concrete that used to be there.

Am I right to be concerned?

Sponsored Links
Is the sand a lower level than the concrete was? Water will always find a low spot, especially in heavy rain like that, it takes a while to soak away.

Personally, I'd rather have concrete or slabs right outside the door of the house. You can sweep it clean to keep dirt out of the house, and gravel can get lodged in the sole of your shoe and carried inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back