Patio - 300mm rule ?

Sponsored Links
The council has received a complaint in regards to the above
From one of your neighbours.

Following an investigation (??????? When did this happen
When they went to the neighbour's house.

do I not get to show them in person?)
They can look over the fence.

It goes on to invite a retrospective planning application which isn't guaranteed to succeed

What can I do ?
I would worry that submitting a planning application would be an admission that you think you need permission.

Have you written to them pointing out that you have not gone more than 300mm AGL at the house?

Hi , no , I will be though tomorrow

If the 300mm rule is interpreted diffentley by various councils , what chance does your average jo have in disputing their findings?

Sponsored Links
Because you cannot tell from the photos if it complies or not.

If the 300mm rule applies from the highest part of the land adjacent to the house , how can you not tell from the photos?

As thats the tittle of the thread, i would be interested to know how it is it cant be seen from the pictures

They are a lot more common in other countries, but there must be some here - we can't be absolutely sure that the house doesn't have a half-basement.

If i am in breach then i have totally misunderstood the 300mm rule , i thought it was from the highest point

If it isnt , then of course yes i have breached because we have essentially paved over a rockery so we obviously went 300mm above that ground (middle patio)

I would not consider the whole area you have paved to be one continuous deck and so the highest ground level for each deck must be used as a high point. It is a series of 4 different raised decks and each one must be compliant and I cannot tell from the photos if it complies or not.

But if you are sure it is and you are comfortable with the like-minded opinion from others on here then you have nothing to fear. You can stick two fingers up at the LA and their silly letters and say to them that if they pursue it then when it is proved that your patio is PD you will seek costs against them for stress and any costs encumbered by yourself by having to prove it is PD.

Thanks Freddy

I appreciate your comments , its the interpretation of the rule for me , essentially , what i have done surely is better than one complete deck running straight out , it would be a bloody monstrosity!

I would not consider the whole area you have paved to be one continuous deck and so the highest ground level for each deck must be used as a high point. It is a series of 4 different raised decks and each one must be compliant and I cannot tell from the photos if it complies or not.
Ah - see what you mean.

But is it 4 different raised decks, or the original patio with the steps down to the garden rebuilt wider and deeper?

Hi Chaps

The original ground level of the middle patio , again , is minus the thickness of a 38mm slab and muck , so the `end` , where you can see the dog , is obviously where its been built up to meet that level , so essentially , thats the top patio and middle patio , under the 300mm rule......

That leaves me the steps issue , surely surely i cant be punished for having steps !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back