Patio above DPC level - advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,

Could I ask a bit of advice please? We had a patio laid about 6 years ago and now we have a problem with damp along the entire extent of the inside wall. It looks very likely that the new patio was laid at a higher level than the old path, thus breaching the DPC. The Patio Installer came out when I complained and said that that it was unclear where the DPC was and it could be above the paving level, suggesting that maybe our DPC had failed instead. After he left, I decided to carry out a little investigation myself and removed a section of patio paving next to the house. As you can see in the photos, below what looks like I believe is a DPC is present at approx 50mm below the level of the new patio.

2 quick questions for those who know more than I about such things:

1) Is that grey horizontal line between the brick layers definitely a DPC in your opinion?
2) The brick layers (including the DPC) are faced by a layer of hard cement in places - is this acceptable or could this cause the DPC to be breached?

Many thanks for your help!

IMG-3601 (1).jpg

IMG-3600 (1).jpg

Sponsored Links
Very simple, outside ground level should be 150mm/6 inch/2 bricks below DPC. Render should not bridge DPC.

So just do/follow that and problem solved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back