Patio level above DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a bit of damp in the external solid walls of my house where the patio has been built up above the level of the DPC, bridging it. I believe it may have also covered air bricks so the underfloor void is unventilated. I've sketched the current arrangement. I'm considering what would be the best way of getting this sorted:
- Option 1 would be to reduce the whole patio level down to the level of the top of the footers (probably how it was intended when the house was built). This is going to be quite alot of work and will create a step down to the patio from the house and also from the lawn which isn't ideal.
- Option 2 would be to create a trench around the external wall down to ~150mm below the DPC and fill with shingle and bigger stones above the DPC. This would be much easier the airbricks would still be covered.
Are there any better options / alternative ways of getting ventilation to the underlfoor void?

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3695.jpg
    IMG_3695.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
I had exactly this problem, and I went for your option 2.....but I left the trench open, covering the top with some galavanised steel mesh to keep the leaves out etc. Damp gone, and there is now a gale below the floor!
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back