Patio Awning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the instructions it tells me find studs or joists to mount the brackets. Is this the same as a lintel? I wish to attach it to a brick wall of my house.

Sponsored Links
Also the fixings are unllike normal bolt. Its a threaded pin not threaded bolt, with an outer cylinder casing, with slits down it on the pin end.

Fixing to studs or joists sounds as if they are thinking of fixing it to a wooden building. If that is the case, and your house is made of bricks, it should be plenty strong enough. I would avoid drilling into a lintel as it is probably reinforced concrete, fairly hard to drill, and you don't want to drill through the steel.

Are these fixing bolts like rawlbolts or shield anchors, so they expand when you wind the bolt in or tighten the nut?
p1397538_l.jpg
These are intended for brick walls.

If the instructions are not clear you could do a lot worse than phone the manufacturer.

Thanks for the reply. Here is my drawing on the pin.

bolt7ic.jpg

looks as if i need access to both side of brick to use these! the expanding ones sound like a good idea. Is the one in your picture one of them? I have seen them before.

Sponsored Links
I think the thing in your drawing is similar. If you tighten the nut down onto the pin, I think it will draw the pin, and hence conical nut, up, and it will expand the split section of the sleeve, as the cone tries to pull itself into the sleeve, thus making it grip the brickwork. Just drill a hole that is a fairly close fit to the unexpanded sleeve. Once the sleeve starts to grip it will not spin loosely. Some sleeves are held together with a twist of wire to help you get started.

You can then put e.g. a bracket over the exposed threaded end of the stud and fasten it down with another nut.

p.s. how did you draw it?

So just drill a snug hole whack it in and tighten? I drew it using paint. I dont have it on me to take a photo. :D

It won't hurt to put a big galvanised washer under the nut, you don't want it trying to bear directly on the brickwork as you tighten it.

:D its up, lovely. I think the bottom bolts went into the lintel. They are rock solid. the two tops ones in the brick seem to pull them self out sort off. So i gave up trying to tighten them too much. Thats for the help

You could try changing the top ones for resin anchors .......there is no expanding force with these.ask @ your local builders merchant ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back