Patio & Damp Proof Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had some gardening work done and the gardener stated that our patio was too high when compared to the extension that we have (patio and extension both done by previous owners). As the images show we have at least one blue brick above and 1.5/2 bricks below ground level.

His suggestion was to lower the patio down to its original level and relay the slabs. I don't feel he is trying to dupe us but also am not sure if its entirely necessary. We haven't noticed any dampness in the extension nor has it flooded in the year we've lived in the property. So I am wondering whether to take the advice or leave it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200714_210709596.jpg
    IMG_20200714_210709596.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20200714_210847376.jpg
    IMG_20200714_210847376.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
I see no sign of a DPC between brick courses there... are you sure its above the blue bricks?
If so then I don't see any great concern - yes it is closer than ideal but your own surveyor didn't raise it as an issue when you bought the house. If you really want to take action then you could dig lower adjacent to the house (maybe 6 inches from the walls), leave a gap, fill it with free-draining decorative pebbles, or even install a linear drain. Also good to ensure puddles don't form against a wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back