Patio - advice on level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need a bit of advice on the level against our house to start the patio.

The patio has two different extensions next to it, one where it starts and one on the left side and a manhole cover.

The issue is the damp course and engineering bricks on the two different extensions are at different heights, the manhole is fairly high up and also our garden is lower than the neighbours.

There is a manhole cover which we were going to use to determine the patio level. On the newer extension (left side) the damp course barrier was moved higher due to the potential high level of the patio but not the blue engineering bricks meaning the patio level would come up halfway in the first course of 'normal bricks'. We will be having gravel round this edge of the patio but I was wondering if those bricks could get damaged/weathered quickly and whether the gravel should only cover the blues?

If we were to lower the patio we would also need to lower the manhole which is only just possible as the pipes are high up. Also even if we use the level of the manhole the patio would be lower than our neighbours garden and if the patio is lowered it will be a good 50+mm lower than the gravel boards without taking into account the extra 30mm at the end of the patio for drainage away from the house.

Any advice appreciated, photos to follow.

Sponsored Links
If you could lower the manhole a brick course then replace with a cover to accept your patio slab would that help the levels?[offsetting the cover to move a little further from the wall.]

Just about but I'd rather not if possible as the drains are so close to the surface.

The pipe on the left is being removed but the others are still very close

Sponsored Links
Your going to struggle with that.

Might be far easier and better for the building to use decking .
Whatever you do your getting very close to DPC.

If you go for a deck at least you wont cause a damp issue.
A composite decking would be my choice to save work and wood rot.

All i can suggest.

If those side drains are live, aren't you concerned about them leaking outside the main pipe , especially that close to the house foundations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back