new patio but man hole is going to be to high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
we are laying a new patio and have been sorting out levels (was running back in to house before) all was going well. We have had to drop it down a few inches and its going to mean the manhole will be above patio,
the manhole has never been level about 1" higher at front.
I have been looking this morning at manhole covers that you put paving on and wondered has anybody used them and any tips or advice you can give.
Do you just take the manhole cover off and then cut the concrete and put the cover on ?
the new patio is stonemarket millstone

Sponsored Links
Basically yes; remove the old cover & frame (if its cast iron it will have scrap value). I had to trim ½ a brick course off the top of my chamber to bring the top of the new frame flush with the patio slabs, cement the new frame into place & pave around it, when dry cut & fit the slabs into the recessed cover matching up the grout lines & point it all up. Have a look here;

http://www.pavingexpert.com/recess01.htm

Basically yes; remove the old cover & frame (if its cast iron it will have scrap value). I had to trim ½ a brick course off the top of my chamber to bring the top of the new frame flush with the patio slabs, cement the new frame into place & pave around it, when dry cut & fit the slabs into the recessed cover matching up the grout lines & point it all up. Have a look here;

http://www.pavingexpert.com/recess01.htm[/QUOTE]

thanks richard i was hoping it was going to be that simple

morning
well spent all day yesterday trying to find a recessed cover to fit our manhole, the cheapest we can get is £200 so wondered if anybody has any other ideas

Sponsored Links
the cheapest we can get is £200
Christ what’s so special about it :eek: What size/type is the chamber? I reckon you could buy a recessed cover, dig the old chamber out & build a new one to suit & still have change from 200 quid.

I’ve got the very first one that appears in the link I posted & it cost less than £40 from a local independent trade supplier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back