Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone (female here so be kind!). We recently had an extension done and are wanting to do our garden ourselves. My partner is fairly DIY savvy and so is my dad, but no one has any knowledge in sewers etc. The sewer that runs through our garden is a private one (was once owned by South East Water) but then bought somewhen along the way. We are now in the process of doing our garden and are about to dig down to be 2 courses below the DPC of our extension in order to have a patio. However, I wanted to lower the manhole cover level so its flush with the garden. However it looks like below. My thinking is at some point the manhole has been raised as there is what looks like a concrete lintel present one side and fairly newish brickwork. We need it to go down roughly 10cm to be level with what will be the new patio.

Sponsored Links
Pictures

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4547.jpg
    IMG_4547.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4550.jpg
    IMG_4550.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4549.jpg
    IMG_4549.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
We are the 2nd to last it serves. But its definitely privately owned by someone as it doesnt show on Southern or South East water records and to get planning permission we had to pay a lot of money for a CCTV survey to see where it lead too. All we want to do is lower the height.

We are the 2nd to last it serves. But its definitely privately owned by someone as it doesnt show on Southern or South East water records and to get planning permission we had to pay a lot of money for a CCTV survey to see where it lead too. All we want to do is lower the height.

I suspect you are being misinformed.

We have a public drain running near our property and when we wanted our extension , WE had to pay to tell our water company where it runs and have CCTV before and after the build work to prove nothing had been damaged.

IIRC it was about 2011 when the responsibility was automatically passed to the relevant water companies.

As for making changes - I suspect you will need to involve your local BCO

Second to last implies that someone else's sewage also flows through the mh, it not appearing on their maps is no confirmation of who's responsibility it is.

I have seen the Southern Water records myself and it doesn’t show on there. Our architect needed to see where it ran too. Im going to call Building Control tomorrow to discuss it with them.

It is our responsibility. Any blockages etc we are responsible for.

NOT if its a shared drain

Look down this page till you get to the part about drains

Not sure then. Tbh I left all the planning permission etc with the architect, builder and building control. If we have full planning permission could Southern Water still get involved and object to what we do? Worried now
NOT if its a shared drain

Look down this page till you get to the part about drains

Get some drain dye and put it into your neighbours toilet then flush, just make sure someone is looking into the manhole at the time.

Andy

If you want to make changes to the height of the manhole discuss it with your local BCO ...........

What is BCO? Sorry not with the lingo

Building Control Office

A completely separate to Planning

The BCO would have needed to visit your home during stages of your extension....... and they would have probably needed to see the information on the drain as part of the information pack from the builders, architects etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back