Patio over manhole set in concrete

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi I have a question about laying patio over a concrete/soil hardcore combined area.

Is it possible to lay patio directly onto concrete? Presumably you would lay the patio with mortar. The adjoining area is soil so is it possible to lay a hardcore layer matching the height of the concrete.

Also there is a small manhole cover set into the concrete is it possible or advisable to cut the concrete surrounding the manhole cover and fit a recessed manhole cover. I hope that makes sense I have attached a picture any advise would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200710_091433117.jpg
    IMG_20200710_091433117.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
Yea lay straight on to the concrete. No problems with that.

With the soil, make sure you put a good base in and damp proof membrane.

make sure you have a slight slope otherwise water will pool on your patio.

Much appreciated. I didn't realise that a damp proof membrane was required for the soil side.

Sponsored Links
Not everybody does it, but, without damp penetrating from underneath, the concrete is more likely to be drier, and less prone to dark staining and green life (mildew and algae)

It needs a fall as well so rainwater runs off.

Mine always looks cleaner than my neighbours (which is flat).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back