Patio Door Leaking - Missing Door Drips or Drain Holes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
with the heavy downpours of late ive noticed my patio doors leak water in the lower left (corner). Am I right in thinking I should have drain holes in the lower stills (see pic) Also would adding door drips fix it?

XAgCWEO.jpg

is this a drain hole ?
ALixSKT.jpg

Sponsored Links
Some (most) upvc door sets come with drain holes in the bottom rails, these would have storm caps fitted on/in them to prevent blow back. Looking at your second pic. I see the gasket,seals are rucked at two points this allows mould to grow in the cup shapes, they are better when their welded/mitred, as it prevents this, but it is the trickiest part of the seal to get right. Again, some door sets have a full length cover over the drain holes, making the drainage hidden, which is exactly their purpose.
Your pics. appear to show neither, but you can bye retrofit caps from various outlets, as a quick online search will show, all you need do is provide the hole(s)...pinenot :)

ive had a good search but cant find anything relating to drain holes is it something i need to drill in?

Sponsored Links
It looks like you have concealed drainage that comes out between the door frame and the cill. Pour a cup of water in their to check that the drainage is clear.

Door drips would be highly recommended for an inwards opening door

Judging by all that crap in there it wouldn't surprise me if the drainage was blocked, try a cup of water to see and poke a coat hanger in there if no water comes outside

Hi, I have the same problem as the original poster when it rains it fills the cill and leaks into the house. We have drainage holes both inside and out. The inside ones are always full of water yet the outside ones are bone dry leading us to think that somewhere between the two there's no connection for it to drain. At first we thought it was blocked so we used an old wire coat hanger and threaded it along the inside and then the outside drain holes with no obstruction to either we are now wondering if whatever is supposed to be there for it to drain out to the outside isn't there. Is it possible to drill a small hole through the outside drain hole just to get it started or wouldn't that work?
out.png
in.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back