Patio doors -euro lock does it need to be double sided?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace the euro barrels in my patio doors to something more modern i.e. not as easy to snap. Is there any reason why I would need to have the lock on either side or were they just cheaper to buy like that because they're also used in front doors etc.

I can't think of any time I've ever unlocked them from the outside so what's the point of them being double sided? Can I replace them with a half barrel or is there something obvious I'm overlooking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Intruders will be able to bump a poor quality lock regardless of the number of key entry points.

You will risk being locked out or in if you choose one sided keys.

Some come with thumb turn internal locks which can have their uses e.g. if tenants keep losing keys for a back door.

Blup

is it a plastic door?

Assuming your house has a lockable front door, and probably a back door as well, I see no reason a patio door needs an outside keyhole.

Can I replace them with a half barrel or is there something obvious I'm overlooking?

Half barrels are for garage doors, you'll be left with a hole on the outside, probably even easier to break into, as thieves can now poke things in there!

You need a 'one side blind' euro cylinder...

locksonline-eps-blind-with-key-euro-cylinder-500x500.jpg

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/LocksOnline-EPS-Blind-Key-Operated-Euro-Cylinder-Blank-One-Side.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I never knew you get such a thing!

To be honest, neither did I. I Google image searched "euro cylinder blank" to find a solution to block up the hole on the outside and that popped up, perfect!!

Half barrels are for garage doors, you'll be left with a hole on the outside, probably even easier to break into, as thieves can now poke things in there!

You need a 'one side blind' euro cylinder...

locksonline-eps-blind-with-key-euro-cylinder-500x500.jpg

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/LocksOnline-EPS-Blind-Key-Operated-Euro-Cylinder-Blank-One-Side.html

Thanks, that looks the perfect solution.

I doubt I'd ever be locked outside blup, they're just patio doors, I've never opened them from outside in all the 10 years I've lived at the address. Like John says there's a back door and front door. I was looking to replace them cos of the snapping and bumping and the blind euro looks the perfect solution , just have to look for some cheapers ones though as they do seem pricey.

Last edited:
I replaced my handles with ones with no barrel hole, and then just cut 15mm off the front of the locks, so they would hide behind the handle.

yes, I was thinking of a blank "handle" for the outside, in sturdy metal, with no keyhole, and concealed fixings bolted on from the inside of the house, preventing access to the lock.

Mine were built like that, but they're aluminium and I couldn't find a similar handle yesterday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back