patio drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i plan to lay quite a large patio ( 9m x 2.5m) soon, and i was wondering what draining system i should use . Any drain would have to be along the long 9m length though. Which should i consider?. How much should it slope by? - I've read it's 1/8" /foot., which means from one end to the other, the drain would have to drop about 75mm, which seems a lot. ?. Would a land drain coil be a better solution?, i could hide the gradient of the coil in some gravel?.

Anyway, any thoughts greatly appreciated

Mike

Sponsored Links
Presume you are referring to a drain channel between house and patio? patio is same height as house finished floor height yeh? Plastic drain channel system like hex drain or similar is the best but it does not need a run anything like that. 1:300 odd is fine. Think of it like a house guttering. You would not have a 75mm difference on a 9m house guttering one end to the other: more like 10-20mm. But you do want your patio to have a run away from the house at about 1:80 ish. Don’t install it dead level!

We did the same 80m^2 in total. Used ACO drains that fed into two bloody big soakaways under the patio - a great way to get rid of a lot of the old brickwork etc. Has worked brilliantly. We're on sandstone, and hit the bedrock when digging, so drainage will always be good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back