Patio/Drive Prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

We got a price to get the drive monoblocked and our garden (which is a mess ) done.

We were quite shocked by the quote, £1900 for the drive, you could only get one car in it. £2500 for the garden. We had hoped that it would be around £3000 for the lot.

This quote was from a 'Marshalls Registered' company. We don't want cowboys and I believe there's a lot of that about. Is anyone aware of any other companies that do patios/drives with some sort of guarantee that might be cheaper than this?

We intend to get another couple of quotes, but aren't feeling too confident that they'll be much less than this one!

Thanks in advance (and hope I posted in the right place!)

Mandy

Sponsored Links
You may find that most of your cost is labour. The only way around this would be to get the materials yourself and do much of the clearance etc and then find a local builder with a gap in his schedule to lay it for you.

Well, not that we are supposed to comment on quotes, I would say that those costs seem about the right ball park. We were quoted £3500 for our drive, which is about 40 sq metres.

Sponsored Links
To be 'Marshalls registered' is a good thing, but not essential. Why not ring a few landscape companys, better still ask around for recommendations.
The price seems about right for the work, as 'nstreet' said a lot of the cost is labour. With any block paved drive, foundation is critical, or you're just wasting your cash. Agreed on the cowboy bit, but there are also a lot of sole traders 'Tommy Walsh' types out there who do a great job.

Try this link:-

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm

Gives a bit of guidance on what you might expect to pay.

Prices can vary by a huge amount for this sort of thing.
When I got my drive tarmac'd the quotes ranged from £10 000 to £2 500.

As ever get several quotes, preferably from recommendations, ask to see their work, judge how professional the outfit sounds - do they know what they are talking about ( paving expert is a great help here it tells you what people should be doing), beware the outrageously cheap quote - not an absolute sign that the guy will turn up on a horse but can be an indicator to look a bit more closely and proceed with caution.

Good luck.

P

Have to say that pavingexpert is a great site, you have to remember that the actual blocks are pretty much decoration, it is absolutely crucial that the sub-base and edgings etc are properly prepared / installed. Otherwise, it'll just fall apart.

Thanks for all your tips! Sorry for mentioning my quote was unaware this wasn't allowed although it was more advice on how to spot a dodgy tradesman that I was after.

Link is great and I'm sure that'll help a lot. We have 2 more people coming out, both of whom have done other people's drives in our street.

Mandy

mandyp said:
Thanks for all your tips! Sorry for mentioning my quote was unaware this wasn't allowed although it was more advice on how to spot a dodgy tradesman that I was after.

Link is great and I'm sure that'll help a lot. We have 2 more people coming out, both of whom have done other people's drives in our street.

Mandy

OK, but make them tell you what they are going to do. Remember sub-base !!!

Paving is always hard to quote as people don't tend to appreciate how much hard work it can be to lay properly.

Foundation work is the key to long lasting paving. If ignored you can soon be cursing it! I wouldn't trust anything laid in sand, it is only half the job it should be.

Check the details with the landscaper, if in any doubt get a couple more quotes to make comparisions.

Try Screwfix.com who have offers running until May 5th on paving. Seem quite good and I also prefer wickes. They have granite cobbles at some larger stores. You'd still need to find someone to lay it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back