Patio fall - is 1:180 (approx) enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a patio built by a professional, and the fall level is 1:180 approx away from the house.
This is far less than what I've discovered is the recommended fall level of 1:80

We tested the drainage with a hose, and it does drain, but pools of water sit on the lower half of the slabs.
The pointing has not been done yet so the drainage may be better when it's done - or is this wishful thinking?

Will this fall be sufficient to protect the house, or should we get it redone?

TIA,

Zebs

Sponsored Links
1:80 is just about the min, and if riven slabs are used it needs to be a bit more.

The pointing will make it worse not better. As long as water doesn't puddle up against the house you should be ok. Especially in a cavity wall. Just watch that the surface is well below the damp proof course.

Sponsored Links
1:80 is for a roof!

I don't think patios are laid to prescriptive angles, and any fall will do. Normally if a 4' level bubble is off centre, it's enough.

1:80 is standard for a patio as well. 1:60 can be needed for some riven slabs to drain properly. You can't go too far if you want a table and chairs on it. Using a turn of the bubble is fine for steps, but on a large area it's better to set out the levels properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back