Weep Vents - covered by patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive searched these forums and I can’t find the answer to my query, so I’ve signed up in the hope to get some help.

We’ve recently had a patio installed at our house. It is at 2 levels (first part is at door level and the 2nd is about 20cm below that)

The door level part is approx 2cm below the damp proof membrane and the render to my existing house wall. They’re ran air pipes from my external wall to the outside, and the patio is graded so that it has a gradual fall away from my wall. I know this is close, but I’ve read that it should be fine due to the way it’s built.

However, the patio has covered all my weep vents. When it was being installed, I asked the installer if they should be left clear. He insisted it was fine and at the time I had no reason to doubt him (he’s got lots of good reviews and has been laying patios for years). But now I’m doubting it all - and thanks to the internet - I’m conscious that we may have an issue in the future with damp. There is no guarantee we will and no that we won’t.

What are my options?

- install new retrospective weep/ventilation vents in the wall (it’s a cavity wall). But these won’t be at the bottom of the cavity wall to let water trickle out. And I can’t remember if a tray was installed in the cavity wall when it was built
- ask the patio/landscaper to come and rectify?
- get insurance involved?
- paint my wall in water repellent (the one that seeps into the brickwork) and hope for the best?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Somehelpneeded, good evening.

Welcome to you as this is your first post in here.

Simple answer get the installer of the patio back to sort things out.

As for your home Insurer? they will not assist because there are definite Exclusions as regards "poor design" and "poor Workmanship" they are simply not covered.

Applying a water repellent to the wall? that will not last forever??

Ken

I doubt your house will fill up with water. The balls-up is height of the slabs - presumably requested by the owner?
Applying a water repellent to the wall
Would that be on top of the waterproof render that is already there?

I doubt your house will fill up with water. The balls-up is height of the slabs - presumably requested by the owner?
Would that be on top of the waterproof render that is already there?

Yeap. Balls up would be me, but in my defence, I queried whether the vents should be covered or not. It was only after it was completed that I found out what they were for.

Waterproof onto the brick work only (not the render)

Sponsored Links
You won't get a problem because of covering the weep holes, but you might because of having the paving above the damp course.

You won't get a problem because of covering the weep holes, but you might because of having the paving above the damp course.

Paving is below a damp proof course. I’ve checked this and I was clear to the patio guy that it needs to be below the DPC throughout. I have a wall which I can check the height of the patio v DPC against (internally).

My only concern has been the weep vents. And from all the reading I’ve done, there is nothing conclusive which states that they work (or not). Some houses have, some don’t - which is why I’m confused by it.

Weep vents are always on a DPC. Otherwise they won't weep and are pointless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back