patio for conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to build a dwaf wall for a conservatory. Once I have dug down and made a cement foundation for the wall how do I fix my first row of bricks?

To me it seems a bit weak to just sit the bricks onto the cement, but from what I can tell this is the norm??

Also what is the correct procedure for making the internal floor, I guess its not just a patio, there must be some weather proofing?

Thanks in advance guys n gals

Sponsored Links
Here's a picture he can see without a microscope!

Click image to enlarge

But to honest from the language, I really do wonder if this is one project too far for the OP. He has obviously never laid a brick in his life. Best to build something like a barbeque first just to find out if a consevatory has any chance!

For the OP, that lump in the ground is concrete. It needs to go down onto suitable load bearing ground. You can't shortcut the foundation because if you go too shallow or not wide enough all that happens is the building will settle unevenly, eventually needing to be demolished. You set out the trench to suit the dimensions of the building on top. Note that the walls are over the middle but the conservatory usually bears down on the outer wall. A common mistake by cowboys is to build walls that the building on top does not fit because they don't know what they are doing. If you still think you have what it takes, good luck. The sketch I put up is easier to build than the first one because you don't have to do so much brickwork low in a trench. Both are OK ways to build.

Sponsored Links
I know it may seem that this is too much for a novice. Everyone told me the same when I rewired my house with no experiance, but the guys who certified the work seemed to think it was ok... So I will give this a go as I dont need a BBQ!!

Thanks for the diagrams, they help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back