Patio / French Drain Next to Victorian Property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

First post on here but picked up many helpful tips previously!

We have a Victorian terrace property that was built in the early 1900s. The property suffers from damp issues in the rear rooms, it has been suggested that this is due to excessive exterior ground levels and poor runoff from the exterior concrete slab. I was also advised that a French Drain adjacent to the property was a potential solution.

I have started to remove the old concrete from around the rear of the property. The concrete is in poor condition and doesn't drain effectively. My initial plan was to replace with paved patio and French drain by the exterior wall. However, during trial excavation I have uncovered the top of brickwork at a very shallow depth (see pictures below) - I am concerned that this is a very shallow foundation. It is ~100mm below the former surface level.

I am therefore thinking to scrap the French Drain and just reprofile the exterior area to improve drainage and help surface water move away from the property.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I am a bit reluctant to disturb the brickwork I have uncovered to see if there are deeper foundations below.

Thanks,

Dan

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
To add to the above, I have excavate another area further along the wall. The bricks are not present, so I suspect they aren’t structural. There are similar bricks elsewhere under the concrete, maybe an old exterior structure? Any thoughts still appreciated,

thanks, Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back