Patio half covering air bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The paving on a rear extension comes above the lower level of airbrick which I think is 2 bricks in depth(see photo). I would like to ensure best possible airflow through to old section of house so keen to lower . What’s a good way to deal with this as concerned cutting a section out could lead to water running in to air brick more easily. Two air bricks in total across the rear extension.
3D6D3789-CC1A-4C31-B81F-A01FCEECDC40.jpeg

Sponsored Links
MattLiving, good evening.

A lot depends on what gradients on the slabs now?

Looking at the image, there is a gap which rain water could get into between the slabs and the wall, all the way along the wall / slab junction, including the area of the air brick. [See above?]

The standard way around this situation is to "form" a rectangular void in front of the air brick, given the above?, this option will let you see what any water is doing in front of the air brick within the void.

Ken.

Thank you Ken , i have checked and it is at a slight gradient towards garden. When you say gap there is a form of grouting but no actual gap. During heavy rain I have never seen water pooling against the house . There is paving at a lower level in other areas which has a gap of few inches and stones between paving and house. Potentially get a rectangle cut out then and put some stones in ?

You could make a small local retaining structure around the air brick using some precast concrete path edgings. Come away from the existing wall on two sides at 90 degrees by 100mm and join the to ends up. Only air will be able to pass through the brick

AiY

Sponsored Links
MattLiving, good evening again.

As "AsleepInYorkshire" and can I also "suggest" that any edging used is allowed to protrude just above the surrounding paving to prevent run in from the surrounding area, say during very, very heavy rain, and possible localised ponding.

Also, suggest you if possible excavate down [say] 300.mm and fill with gravel, this may?? assist any accumulated water to drain off into the surrounding soil

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back