Patio laying advice subbase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all after carrying out a house renovation and extension im turning to the garden.
Im a little confused to what subbase is required for my patio.
First option is a marshall tegular block paving like my drive but done in a nice pattern. Could i get away with 70mn hardcore rather than 150mm?
Second option is black indian stone
Again do i have hardcore as a sub base or just mix a 6.1 sharpsand cement mix and lay it straight on that? Quite a bit of conflicting information on goggle and the black indian stone is the one im more unsure with.
Any help will be appriciated many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Block paving driveway you need 100mm hardcore minimum before the sand. But for a patio if you're using large slabs for foot traffic and the ground is undisturbed you can pretty much lay them as you like. Look on paving expert for correct formations.

I'm doing my back garden soon. I'll be digging out some soil, laying a membrane then Indian stone on around 50mm of wet mix as you describe.

I've dug up hundreds of drives and patios and very rarely see more than 100mm of anything below the surface.

Sponsored Links
very rarely see more than 100mm of anything below the surface.
Maybe that's why half the block paved drives i see in the area look like the Himalayas:LOL:and ours hasn't moved a millimetre. I bought bags of hardcore and spent all day whacking it down.

The one I'm doing today has soft sandy soil, membrane, an inch on MOT, 3inch of grit then the blocks. It's not too bad, looks a good few years old.

IMG_8657.JPG

IMG_8658.JPG

There's a comedy one near my house, looks like blocks straight onto clay, must take a pic :)

Thanks for thr reply.
I have decided to go with the blockpaving for my patio which you i have used on my drive. Its the marshsll tegular ones.
My drive hasnt moved a bit but i did lay 150mm of hardcore.
Im being a bit lazy with the patio but more because of excess and dont want the unnesserary cost or work for a over top patio lol. I'll still do the 40 mm sharp sand but hoping 70mm should be sufficant .....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back