Patio slope towards house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have a question about a patio that a tradesmen is currently laying for me.

It is halfway through being installed and we haven’t noticed any problems yet, but on doing a little bit of searching of the internet (just so I am a little bit more educated on the topic when he asks me questions), I have a question/concern

The patio slopes towards the house (average of about a 3% slope) and a drain has been installed along the length of the house by the rear bifold doors.

Reading online it seems to say a patio should never slope towards the house, but I just wondered if it is OK in our situation given the drain installed?

Thank you in advance
46E9509E-68F1-4112-B03F-DEF108A6FC0D.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It should drain away form the house ideally, I'm gonna hazard they wanted to save a few quid on a pipe run back to an existing gully next to the house which incidentally should technically not be done, really the drain should drain into an new soakaway. Or perhaps they thought that draining it the other direction would cause a too big a step up to the lawn. Anyway they're plonkas.

Thank you very much. They did mention wanting to keep the step as low as possible up to the lawn - maybe that is part of the reason

Are we looking at problems in the future (e.g with our foundations) and so we should ask them to start from scratch?

Sponsored Links
Thank you all very much

Just about the patio level. It does slope towards the house as mentioned. I just wondered what is considered a ‘good’ slope. It doesn’t feel really steep, but it is noticeable (perhaps for the same reason as mentioned - to reduce the step up to the garden)

If I put a spirit level on it, the bubble is all the way at one end next to the door, but is more level nearer the garden

Thank you again

Get the hosepipe out, discharge water onto the patio nearest the lawn and watch what it does -- that'll tell you what will happen in the rain.

Mine slopes away from the house and goes onto the lawn and borders, but if it sloped towards the house I'd have it run into a drainage channel which would then go into the main waste (as my rainwater does from the guttering).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back