patio 6" below damp course why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay a patio, but the garden slopes towards my house.
Web sites I have read say that the patio should be 6" below the house damp course, if I follow this the patio will end up below the garden and when it rains I will have a perment puddle.

Why does the patio have to be 6" below the house damp course?

Sponsored Links
it needs to be a decent depth below your damp proof course to stop it bridging the damp proof course and causing problems with damp in the house. If thats the only way you can lay the patio you could do a couple of the following:-

leave a margin between the house and patio and infill it with gravel to provide drainage, but prefaerably run a channel drain along there to collect the water and remove it

So can you slope the patio towards the house as long as you have a drainage system between the house and patio? Ideally a french drain rather than gravel.
Its just that all advice says slope away from the house and this is not possible, but no one says slope towards house and place a drainage system in place.

Sponsored Links
I clean up floods for insurance companies hence I know what a french drain is, I do not lay patios, in fact this is my first, and its going in my garden so will be my last.

All advice given on patio laying says slope away from the house, no one gives advice about if you garden slopes to your house hence I have found this site and I am looking for advice.

So is it ok to lay a patio sloping to the house if you put a french drain in?

I am looking for advice, not smart replies, this forum is suppose to be of help, not try and riducle guests

carpetkarl said:
I am looking for advice, not smart replies, this forum is suppose to be of help, not try and riducle guests

I dont think it was meant to be as you put it "a smart reply" i shall expalin

as you did people post on here, asking a question, the trouble is they only give very little information, then a few posts latter a bit more information is given. You failed to mention the fact that if need be you know what a french drain is for and you are willing to install one

I have to say i read your reply as a smart alec reply to the help i gave you. I dont see that kevplumbs answer was sarcastic more surprised.

Your right this is a diy forum set up to help. But that is what it is a forum, not a bloody helpline where people get given instant answers, although many people appear to think it is and that they have a god given right to get the information they request. The people that give replies on here do so out of their own precious time, either because they like to help or to give back for the help and advice they have gained from the forum. Most of the craftsmen/tradesman/professionals/knowledgeable "amatuers" are hard pressed for time and give up that valuable time free of charge, unlike in the real world where it will cost money to get it. Youd also be surprised at how few people have the good manners to say thank you once they get their reply

so please dont start spouting off at people just because you may read a reply and not like it.

Yes you can lay a patio towards a house but i would place a run of drainage channels parrallel to the house, one slab away from the house and have it discharge into the drainage system.

eg http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101897&ts=25080&id=26032

dpc05.gif

All I was looking for was an answer to 'whether you can lay a patio sloping to your house and if so how'.
Just cos I know what a french drain is, I got a reply that said nothing to help me, not the answer i was looking for. The reply did not say you can use a french drain it just stated why ask the question when you know what a french drain is. I know what a bakewell tart is, but I do not know how to make them.
As for professional peoople giving up their precious time, yes i know, I do the same to help carpet cleaner/disaster restoration technicains we also have our own forums.

Thank you to the two replies above this they should help solve my problem, and the first reply on this post thank you too. I may need further help and hope to post on here again. Sorry if you think I was being sacristic, I was, I felt that the 'why ask when you know reply' was being a smart a*se, as that is how it reads.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

looking at the diagram Masona has posted the damp course is 75 mm above the drainage system. where as advice for laying a patio without drainage system is 150mm.
This could be the answer I have been looking for, can you confirm this is right?

please note 10a which is here

there there all beter now. You should be ok at that level. I would also give the bricks a coat of synthaproof or similar

See this and scroll down to bottom for many ways of doing it, a very useful website.

carpetkarl said:
I know what a bakewell tart is, but I do not know how to make them.

No problem, glad to help :LOL: ;)

Bakewell Tart Ingredients
9oz shortcrust pastry
2tblsp raspberry jam
6oz soft margarine
6oz caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3oz ground almonds
3oz self-raising flour

Preheat the oven to 190°C or Gas Mark 5.
Roll out the pastry and line 2 x 8in pie tins.
Line the pastry with foil and fill evenly with baking beans, uncooked rice or pasta.
Bake for 10 minutes, remove the foil and bake for a further 5 minutes or until the pastry is lightly browned and dry.
Cream together the sugar and margarine until fluffy.
Add the eggs a bit at a time and fold in the flour and almonds.
Spread the jam on the pastry bases, then place the mixture on top of the jam.
Reduce heat to 160°C (140°C fan oven) or gas mark 3 and bake for 20-25 minute or until sponge is set.

Followed the instructions to the letter and they came out burnt :eek:
I hate you all and will never post here again.....(stamping feet at those who helped - why didn't someone just tell him - 2 courses of bricks).

because life isnt always as simple as the text book two courses and sometimes you have to find alternative solutions!

My guess regarding 75mm to dpc is the grating will collect most of the water so shouldn't too much of the splashback as the rain breakdown, ideally as thermo pointed out it's best to come back 1 slab from the building and use the grating from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back