Is this brick damage anything to be concerned about?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I recently moved into an end of terrace house and have subsequently noticed some damage to the brickwork below the damp proof course in the back bottom corner of the house, where it meets a raised brick/slab patio in the back garden.

The survey I had done made no mention of this, but as I have no idea about these things I thought I would gauge some opinion to see if it's likely to be a problem at some point/worsen.

The patio brick wall itself has plenty of efflorescence on the bottom half and - on the far side, away from the house where the patio brick wall is visible from the rest of the garden - has a fair number of bricks that have become calcified, which is what led me to noticing the brick damage visible on the house.

The first pic shows the house brickwork, right, where it meets the raised brick patio, left (the first step up to the patio is visible, bottom left)...

The second pic shows a close up of the brickwork from the first pic, which is below the damp proof course...

The third pic shows the back of the house, where this is a small step (visible on the right) from the living room patio doors to the patio, which shows the house bricks again looking that grey/white colour...

I am just wondering if this is something to be concerned about at all? Is it merely something to expect below the DPC, or does it look like these bricks need replacing? Also, would the patio have helped cause this effect on the house? I am wondering if there are more bricks that would have turned to this white colour, possibly weakened, that aren't visible at present because of the patio (which is why I included the third pic). The garden slopes down from the house, you see, so there must be around six levels of bricks not visible due to the raised patio.

I really do not know anything about this subject and am hoping I am simply a novice who is worrying unduly, so would like to hear the opinion of people more in the know than myself.

Thanks in advance,

R

Sponsored Links
Efflorescence. Not a problem

Thanks Woody. Are you saying it looks like efflorescence in the pics? Ordinarily that wouldn't bother me, it's just that some of the bricks in the picture have lost part of the edges - look a bit like they have crumbled somehow.

Sponsored Links
They look like London bricks, which are the worst bricks in the world for frost and water damage leading to blown faces and edges

It looks like someone did not take care in protecting the patio walls/bricks from damp when being built

Thanks for the reply Woody. Is it anything to be concerned about in terms of the house bricks? Obviously it looks unsightly, but it is any repair work that may be necessary on the house that is the real concern.

I would like to replace this patio, but realistically that won't happen for a year or two because of funds and other family commitments. Until then, I'm just keen to know if this patio is causing problems with the house bricks that will need remedying soon.

They look like London bricks, which are the worst bricks in the world for frost and water damage leading to blown faces and edges

It looks like someone did not take care in protecting the patio walls/bricks from damp when being built

Also, would the London bricks you refer to be the ones on the patio, not the house?

It looks like you have london bricks on the patio walls and the house

On the patio, most of the staining is because of the higher retained ground level causing the wall to stay damp

The bit on the house is probably dampness related too, but it seems to stop at the DPC level. It may be damp leeching across from the higher patio ground level near to the corner

Efflorescence is always just cosmetic

Don't mean to jump in here. But thought i should point out that this patio seems to have been built well enough but there is no weepholes, as far as i can see, for water that falls on to the patio to escape. If this is the case then the water will soak right into the surrounding walls And much of it will stay in the walls.

Does the patio have a fall on it ? Or does the water just lie there until it dries up ?
If you are thinking of renewing this at some point anyway i would just drill out 4 or 5 half brick size holes in selected locations where the water could run out. It will at least stop things getting any worse.

I'm only giving this advice from what i can make out from the pics.

I don't think this will have damaged your house. I do think you're right to get rid and start again.

Don't mean to jump in here. But thought i should point out that this patio seems to have been built well enough but there is no weepholes, as far as i can see, for water that falls on to the patio to escape. If this is the case then the water will soak right into the surrounding walls And much of it will stay in the walls.

Does the patio have a fall on it ? Or does the water just lie there until it dries up ?
If you are thinking of renewing this at some point anyway i would just drill out 4 or 5 half brick size holes in selected locations where the water could run out. It will at least stop things getting any worse.

I'm only giving this advice from what i can make out from the pics.

I don't think this will have damaged your house. I do think you're right to get rid and start again.

Thanks for your reply. It's difficult to spot an obvious fall on the patio and it hasn't actually rained since your post (despite it raining tons this year!) so I couldn't say for sure, but I will look closely next time I am home and it rains. I'm hoping that it does fall away from the house and that that is reflected in the level of calcification on the retaining wall. I hope it hasn't had the same effect on the house bricks (the unseen ones below the level of the patio)!

I will look into drilling the holes and hopefully that will help for now.

It looks like you have london bricks on the patio walls and the house

On the patio, most of the staining is because of the higher retained ground level causing the wall to stay damp

The bit on the house is probably dampness related too, but it seems to stop at the DPC level. It may be damp leeching across from the higher patio ground level near to the corner

Efflorescence is always just cosmetic

Thanks Woody, so this is nothing to be too concerned about for now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back