Patriotic songs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after a CD of proud, British, patriotic music. Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem, and all that. So I put "patriotic music" into Amazon Music. It came up with 25 or so possibilities. Apart from a Finnish one and a Czechoslovakian one, the rest were American. Why is this? Aren't there any patriotic Brits any more??

Sponsored Links
Remember Amazon and Google are American really and have a hazy notion of ROW.

search for Last Night Proms

or Guards Bands (add Coldstream, Life, Grenadier, Welsh, Scots, Irish, Dragoon, Massed etc if you like)

I wonder if it is possible to get the BBC 5.30 a.m. instrumental medley of British songs (now discontinued) on CD? Like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/rams/uktheme.ram

"The last regular 5.30am broadcast of the UK Theme was on Sunday 23 April 2006." see http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/uk_theme.shtml[/i]

Sponsored Links
The Nolans
Subtitle
Sing Patriotic Songs
Artist
The Nolans Format:CD
Cat. No.:METRCD05890876
Barcode:698458105820999
Playing Time:64.07

18 Patriotic classics from the chart-topping Irish sisters

Track List

1 I'm In The Mood For Dancing

2 Unchained Melody

3 Chemistry

4 That's What Friends Are For

5 Run To You

6 Attention To Me

7 Say It Ain't So Joe

8 Who's Gonna Rock You?

9 Gotta Pull Myself Together

10 Could This Be

11 Don't Love Me Too Hard

12 Because I Love You

13 Every Home Should Have One

14 Dragonfly

15 What's Your Intention

16 Spirit Body And Soul

17 Somebody Loves You

18 Sexy Music

Ireland is nothing if not a family-orientated country, so it’s little surprise that the Nolans are one of its most successful musical exports ever. Sisters Anne (born 1950). Denise (1952), Maureen (1954), Linda (1959) and Bernadette (1961) lived in Dublin until 1962, and had been introduced to showbiz at an early age by singing parents Tommy and Maureen. The family made their debut in 1963 as the Singing Nolans, releasing an album of that name nine years later.
On relocating to London, the parents bowed out to leave the spotlight to the five girls who worked the TV and variety circuit with a vengeance as the Nolan Sisters. They even reached the final of A Song For Europe, only to lose out to Black Lace. It was more than mere consolation when ‘20 Giant Hits’, a selection of covers of classic pop songs from ‘Mull Of Kintyre’ through ‘Sailing’ to ‘Money Money Money’ took them all the way to Number 3 in the UK album listings in the summer of 1978.
Denise’s departure for an acting career in variety and panto led to a quartet formation and subtle name change to the Nolans. The girls’ biggest success came in 1979 with ‘I'm In The Mood For Dancing’, a Top 3 hit here and a chart-topper in Japan, where girl groups have always gone down particularly well. The video of the Nolans cavorting, disco-style, in black tops and red Lycra trousers has become a staple on the VH1 Classic satellite TV channel. When Anne left to get married in 1980, she was replaced by youngest sister Colleen (born 1965).
The Nolans were the first European act to win the Grand Prize at the prestigious Tokyo Music Festival in 1981, the same year Linda and Colleen guested with the Young and Moody Band on their hit ‘Don’t Do That’. Linda married Harmony Grass drummer Brian Hudson and retired from the group in 1982, being replaced by a rejoining Anne. The senior sibling’s return was celebrated with the release of ‘Altogether’, a Greatest Hits collection that fared well in the Christmas charts.
Colleen (who was married for 13 years to actor Shane Ritchie), Bernadette and Denise have all recorded solo singles, while Linda comperes the cabaret on Blackpool’s Central Pier each summer. But it’s as the family group that they will always be known – and inspire devotion in fans like Russell Grainger.
The civil servant from Poole in Dorset was a green-haired punk when dragged against his will to see the girls in 1978, but admits that “by the end of the evening I was dancing and cheering”. By 1993, when he married, he’d seen them nearly 500 times, and even took his long-suffering bride to a Nolans concert on their wedding night. He knows you can trust the Nolans to put you in the mood for dancing – and romancing!

1. I'm In The Mood For Dancing
The girls’ signature hit for over two decades since its 1979 release, it re-charted as a new recording on the Living Beat label in 1995 and remains a disco classic.

2. Unchained Melody
The Righteous Brothers’ classic from 1965 that hit the top in 1990 thanks to its use in the film Ghost gets the acappella Nolans treatment. Phil Spector, the Brothers’ producer and man behind such classic girl groups as the Ronettes, would surely approve of such a heavenly choir.

3. Chemistry
Seventh Top 40 hit for the girls, this charted in August 1981 and made it to Number 15. Given the new-found interest in science their boy fans suddenly developed, shame the Nolans never delved further into the National Curriculum!

4. That's What Friends Are For
Not to be confused with the similarly-titled ballad by Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick and Elton John, this song was a UK Top 10 hit for Deniece Williams in 1977. It’s given a more danceable tempo here.

5. Run To You
A bit of a surprise this one – a disco-fied version of a song by Bryan Adams. ‘Run To You’ gave the Groover From Vancouver his first UK hit in 1985, and clearly impressed the girls. Bry has duetted to date with Tina Turner, Mel C, Bonnie Raitt and Barbra Streisand, so why not the Nolans?

6. Attention To Me
Their sixth hit single in March 1981 became the sisters’ third to breach the UK Top 10. The funky backing almost reminds you of Hot Chocolate, whose hot chart streak would start again in ‘82.

7. Say It Ain't So Joe
Recorded by artists as diverse as actor Murray Head, Procol Harum singer Gary Brooker and the Hollies, this delicate ballad has yet to be a hit – so why wasn’t it a Nolans single? Motown fans will appreciate the ‘Tears Of A Clown’ reference in the intro.

8. Who's Gonna Rock You?
Originally recorded by smooth soulster Billy Ocean, this gave the girls their fifth hit single at Christmas 1980, when thousands of devotees were doubtless delighted to find the sisters in their stocking.

9. Gotta Pull Myself Together
This fashionably Abba-esque number became the Nolans’ second Top 10 single in the autumn of 1980, and shows their vulnerable side.

10. Could This Be
A mid-tempo song reminiscent of Candi ‘Young Hearts Run Free’ Staton that finds the sisters questioning their feelings in gospelly style.

11. Don't Love Me Too Hard
Eighth and last of their Top 40 singles, this reached Number 14 in the spring of 1982, helping send ‘Portrait’ to Number 7 in the album listings – their second best showing.

12. Because I Love You
A song title the Nolans share with Buddy Holly, Dolly Parton and Shakin’ Stevens, to name but three. Yet the sentiments here remain very much their own.

13. Every Home Should Have One
Back to the disco floor with a track that appeared on not one but two 1982 albums: ‘Portrait’ and the hits collection ‘Altogether’.

14. Dragonfly
A single in late 1982, released to promote ‘Altogether’, that could easily have been covered by Paul Young whose successful sound it resembles.

15. What's Your Intention
A feisty bit of Shalamar-styled dancefloor dynamism from the girls, complete with air-guitar solo – who’s been listening to Michael Jackson?

16. Spirit Body And Soul
A re-recording of their first hit single from the autumn of 1979 that put them in the charts for the first time as the Nolan Sisters.

17. Somebody Loves You
Another dancefloor special with all the Nolan trademarks to get the blood pumping and feet moving.

18. Sexy Music
A highly appropriate way to end this collection – a track from 1980’s ‘Making Waves’ album that reached Number 11.

Ok not exactly patriotic but i'm sure it's right up your street ;) Can't stand them myself :)

billyo said:
tim tell the truth your a Nolan got ya :D :D :)
well times are hard and we still have to make a living :LOL:
p.s. the CD is quite reasonably priced:cool:

To get back on topic, I'm talking about patriotic 'songs'. That's tunes that make you proud to be British. Not just twaddle.

i have an old England album, its to do with the football but its line up is..

1 Queen. we are the champions.
2. baddiel, skinner & co. 3 lions
3. the farm. all together now
4. the stranglers peaches.
5. fat les. vindaloo.
6. 5,6,7,8's. woo hoo (carling advert)
7. collapsed lung. eat my goal.
8. England 1970 world cup song. back home
9. ub40 feat.united colours of sound. swing low sweet chariot
10. centerspot. great escape 99
11. chumbawumba. tub thumping.
12. oasis. cum on feel the noize.
13. grandad roberts. meat pie, sausage roll (come on son give us a goal)
14. ant and dec. were on the ball
15. nat king cole. papa loves mambo.
16. ron goodwin band. dambusters march
17. the central band of the royal air force. land of hope and glory.
18. fat les. jerusalem.
19. jose carreras. nessun dorma.
20. monty python. bright side of life.

i know there is some **** on there but its got the ones you mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Back