Patsy Calton MP, RIP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My MP died on Sunday after many years battling cancer. She was 56. Even though we all knew she was very ill, it was still a great shock.

I know many of us (me included) complain of charity fatigue, but please spare a few bob for those people collecting for cancer charities. The disease respects no one - one of my customers died at 41 having been fit and healthy all his life. Struck down in two months...

Sponsored Links
IIRC, you had glowing things to say about her efforts in your community. I hope her successor takes as much care in their work.

Now, many people feel they should give or do more for charities, but never get round to it. An easy solution: all the major national charities (and many of the smaller local ones) now offer direct debit facilities. If there is a charity you would like to support, ask yourself if you would really notice a fiver, tenner, whatever, coming out of your bank account on payday. If the answer is "no", then just go to their website and set up a debit. It takes 5 minutes.

You know how virtuous you feel after doing something like eating a salad instead of a pie, or cleaning the house top to bottom? Just like that, knowing that you are a giver feels good!!! :D

It is also a really good "matter of fact" point if you are at a barbecue or dinner party where the thoroughly obnoxious goit (European directive: 1 in 10 dinner parties must have one) is boasting about how much they stuck in the tsunami jar on that one occasion they felt like being charitable. :eek:

AdamW said:
Now, many people feel they should give or do more for charities, but never get round to it.
The problem is that people do not trust the charities company with high running costs, one of the example is in Africa fund, only £4 out of £10 reaches the poor.

I'm not so sure that's the case. I think many people use it as an excuse, but the reason that a lot of people don't donate is because they either don't feel any affiliation towards a cause or because they are tight!

Now, the first isn't really a bad thing: for example if you've never known anyone die of cancer then you might not feel a need. But I'm pretty sure that anyone who has been close to someone with cancer would feel a definite urge to do their bit.

I agree that a lot of money is wasted on TV advertising. Largely because the people who are affected most by those adverts are probably donating already! OK, I'm sure they get a few new donors, but is it necessary to have them on all the time? Charity adverts seem to have airtime third only to ringtone adverts and loan adverts.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
AdamW said:
Now, many people feel they should give or do more for charities, but never get round to it.
The problem is that people do not trust the charities company with high running costs, one of the example is in Africa fund, only £4 out of £10 reaches the poor.

I aggree, I want at least 90% of my donations to reach the charity aims,
But hesitate to part with my cash because too much of it gets spent on administration,

Back