pattern wall paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when starting, with a new roll. Do i start from the end straight off the roll, or at a point else where? Possibly a daft question i know!

Sponsored Links
Traditionally the loose end will be the ceiling edge. BUT!!!!! :!: be carefull as it is does happen that sometimes the paper will be rolled 'wrong' which means if you blindly use the loose end without checking, the pattern could be 'upside down'.
TBH I have'nt come across any lately and suppose I have only found reversre rolled several times in 30 plus yrs.

when starting, with a new roll. Do i start from the end straight off the roll, or at a point else where? Possibly a daft question i know!

Don't start with the end of the roll at the ceiling with patterned paper because if the ceiling rises and you line your pattern up - you'll get a gap at the top. Allow a few inches over and trim with scissors once pasted.

99% of papers will be roll end to the top, Shand Kydd are usually upside down as are some foreign papers. always add a couple of inches top and bottom for trimming. double check wether its an alternate match or a straight match first.

Sponsored Links
And some of the more 'poncy' brands..

Some of the old ready pasted papers used to be rolled like that too so they come out the right way up from a water trough..

The most important thing is to make sure you balance the pattern up before you start dont have half a flower running through the ceiling line if you can help it..it looks awful.

And if you suspect the ceiling line to be a bit crooked then try and find a part of the paper that doesnt have a pattern running through it to go up the top of the wall..that way it wont highlight the crooked line as much.

Some papers have tricky patterns..if your in any doubt as to what way it should be hung pin a length onto the wall and decide for yourself which way you prefer it.

And watch out for patterns that repeat over two drops - eg flower at top L hand corner won't repeat on the next drop, but the drop after.

Messed up a few times in the early days, well worth 10 minutes on the floor working out how and where repeat will come.

Good tips there, also if it is a drop pattern,( you can lose a lot of inches with a drop pattern) then it might pay you to work of 3 rolls at a time, there is less wastage that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back