Paved Drive - suitable sub-base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finally getting round to finishing off the drive and thought it best I seek a bit of advice first.

Previously the whole of the front was gravel so I dug it all out about a foot deep where the drive is to be, which was full of bricks / rubble / broken glass and all sorts of bits and pieces.
The brick/rubble has been broken down and put back in the hole along with a demolished wall that originally spanned across the front of the garden.

This is how it looks at the moment...
photo_2020-09-28_13-59-34.jpg

I'm planning on using some 2ftx2ft 2" thick slabs in two rows with gravel between.

Now I'm not sure how best to proceed so my questions are:
Can I just use a wacker plated to flatten the hardcore? if so, is it best to do it in layers? currently the rubble is about 20cm deep
Would it be a good idea to add some MOT1 over the top to give a tighter structure when its compacted?
Should I then be using a concrete layer to lay the slabs? or just sand?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo_2020-09-28_13-59-34.jpg
    photo_2020-09-28_13-59-34.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 225
Sponsored Links
i think you dug it too deep ....and should have put the bricks in a skip.... but it is what it is... i’d whack it as it is and maybe blind it with a couple if inches of 1/2”to dust then whack it again... shutter it and pour 5-6” concrete each side to drive on .
why mix concrete to lay slabs on when you can just mix concrete and save on the slabs.
not sand whatever.
just my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back