Paving in a cottage garden question - learning as I go!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - new here.

Victorian terraced cottage, front garden 3m square. I'm trying to create a cottage garden, higgledy piggledy look. Plan is a quarter circle in corner in bricks, few Yorkstones (maybe) in random sizes to form path and gravel in the filler bits. Lots of pots and planters. (how do you add a pic to this ?)

Preparation questions.
1. I am currently digging out the previous unkempt lawn. Soil is fairly loose. My father says I just need 2-3ins of sharp sand under, brush sand & little cement into gaps and thats that. However I keep reading online that you need hardcore etc etc. Bearing in mind the idea is not perfection - and the fact that the previous brick path was laid straight onto soil and survived fine - what is the ideal base and what depth?

2. Whilst digging I'm encountering lots of hedge roots and grapevine roots - what do I do about them, cut them? push them below sand/hardcore etc?

3. Is it a good idea to use black plastic under the sand? bit worried about rainwater not being able to soakaway easily.

4. Also.... in a small area which is fenced - how do you tackle it without standing on you nice level areas...? do half at a time?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back