Paving slabs - cement needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has a turf area where she keeps her wheelie bins, which obviously gets churned up in winter. She decided to get a handyman in to pave the section where she keeps them. I've just taken a look at what she's had done and it looks to me like he's simply dug the ground level and laid the paving slabs on top.

Obviously her brief was 'I need some paving laid' so he's done exactly what he was asked. But shouldn't there really be a cement base underneath? Or will it be ok given it's not a high-traffic area? The soil underneath is heavy clay.

Sponsored Links
Properly should be fine hard core, then a sand and cement dry mix, then lay slabs, then grout using a sand and cement dry mix.

After some rain she may find if the bins are heavy, or the moving on and off on collection days, that the slabs will begin to shift position.

Did she pay much to have it done and did it look to her that they used a variety of equipment? If they just used a spade and big rubber mallet then it's clearly not been done correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back