Paving slabs laid dot and dab on soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just wanted to gauge opinion here before taking legal action. I commisisoned a company to prepare a shed base recently, 18ft x 14ft which was done with 2x2 slabs.

The area was fairly flat to start with and they did some raking to level it off. Then, with no other preparation, the slabs were laid on bare soil using dot and dab - blob of cement in the middle of each and blobs to the corners. Nothing else was done and that's how it was left.

Thoughts? Total bodge job? The final product is largely flat but just wondering how bad it will get in the future?

Thanks!
Ted

Sponsored Links
Sounds rubbish and obviously not right but then how much did you pay, what did they say they would do? If you're about to 'take legal action' that suggests some dialogue has occurred with them from when they finished to now? Hard to say what might happen in the future, how firm was the earth beneath, did they have to fill any bits, with a shed it's just gonna sit there so it could be fine, then again long term there could be some differential movement which might lead to the door not closing quite right maybe, or a split in the felt maybe as the whole thing twists a bit, that said timber is very bendy especially over time and felt is a bit stretchy too, you'll not be the first person to have stuck a shed on pavers with no base.

It's not something that I would do, but regarding taking them to court, it all depends on what you agreed and how much you paid.
Example: if you just agreed on a base of slabs for the shed and you paid them £200 (excluding material), then what they've done might be enough for you to lose the case.
If instead you've agreed on a base with compacted mot, binding sand and slabs, or concrete base with slabs on top and paid £1500, then they'll surely lose.
Another thing to consider, like for every claim is whether the defendant will be in a position to pay if they lose.
If it's a limited company, forget it.
They can sell all their assets overnight and shut down, then reopen next day and never pay you a penny.
If they're individuals, unless the own a property or a nice car, forget it.
In other words, the system is heavily balance towards the scammers and criminals.

18ft x 14ft is a pretty big shed, about double garage size, so the job you've got is quite unsatisfactory. I think you'll want a poured concrete slab on a proper base, and I'd want DPM too.

but did you specify your requirements?

did the builders specify what they would do?

Sponsored Links
I've got a 7x5 shed coming to my allotment in January. I'm using 2x2 council paving slabs for the base. I'm going to lay them on a dry mix of sand and cement. I can't see how dot and dab would work on soil - surely the weight of the slabs and shed would punch the dabs into the soil?

Thanks for all the responses!

This job was only done a few days ago and wasn't cheap. £700 to be precise. Also had a brain fart and got the size wrong - it's actually 12ft x 10ft.

So now it's dried, I can see that the central slabs are a good inch higher than the edge ones so I would imagine completely unsuitable for a plastic Keter shed.

Two of the slabs are a different colour and at least wto are loose.

Haven't approached the 'builder' yet but will be doing so today.

I guess the question is can anything be slavaged from this or is it a case of rip it up and start again? I'm thinking wacker plate to compact the soil then lay a proper cement base in lay the slabs actually flat this time.

By the way, what would you expect 30 2x2 slabs to cost? Assume they went as cheap as possible.

Thanks again.

Near us we have a very long established shed maker, who also erects the sheds they make for you. I asked him what he recommended as a base and he suggested dig out 100mm or so, wack down a bit of MOT and lay some concrete lintels across - 5 for an 8x6 shed. Easy to level - lintels are pretty cheap - quick and easy. They said no need for concrete on most ground.

You're not at the legal action stage yet. You need to contact the guy and tell them it's not acceptable - if the base is already not flat that probably helps as it doesn't even look right. Only if they refuse to do anything can you then threaten Small Claims Court. It's quite straightforward I think.
The claim they can just fold the company isn't quite true and for that amount isn't worth it.

If you watched them do it , did you say anything at the time?

I would guess a slab is a couple of quid each maybe depending on thickness.

A legal claim will be dismissed if you haven't given them an opportunity to rectify the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back