Paving to the DPC line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with this issue. Removing an old conservatory. Got new external doors fitted and am keeping the slab the conservatory was on. Idea is to pave over the slab but it comes to the wall, level with the DPC. I’m struggling to find a solution to keep my brickwork from getting damp. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3239.jpeg
    IMG_3239.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
If it's a cavity wall, it will be OK.

If a solid wall, coat it with a quality water repellant up to 300mm from the DPC.

Thanks for the replies. The white paint will
Be coming off as it’s shaped like the conservatory. Yeah I was thinking along the lines of waterproofing that area as that will deal with splashing rain but maybe not bridging. I can’t put a gravel trap in as it will be sat on concrete. Can’t put a drain in as the door sills are in the way. I was thinking about putting a drip bead in and / or a drain away to the front of the slab (red line). I don’t want water moving through the grout and pooling along the wall at DPC under the patio.
IMG_3238.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Surely it won't be ok?

The slab will be flat, the new patio will need to be tiled to a fall, you haven't got the height at the house end to fall away from the house. You'll need to cut a slot against the wall, insert a channel drain and fall the patio to it. Might be easier to replace the slab or see if there's a screed on the slab that could be removed.

Could I put an acro drain along the front of the sills? (See red line in image)

Attachments

• IMG_3239.jpeg
    IMG_3239.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 16
You could but shouldn't. The paving should ideally be two bricks lower than the DPC. It looks like yours will be higher than the internal floor once you've paved it, you're asking for problems doing this.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to decide between breaking up the slab or putting in measures to deal with the drainage then. It’s a very big bit of concrete. Least it’s only two bricks deep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back