Paying For Goods In France

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

We're going away soon en vacances to France.

Chip and pin compatibilty is still a bit hit & miss there.

We don't really want to walk around with pockets stuffed with Euro's, so how would you pay for stuff?

I guess the UK banks' exchange rates for taking Euro's out of an ATM would be a bit steep?

Sponsored Links
just kick in the windows of McDonalds and do a runner... then steal what you want... everyone will just think 'copycat'....

Always a problem.....I never quite know the best route....check out Tesco ...they have some very good deals, I had an excellent exchange rate in June. They also have good deals on pre paid cards.
If by any chance you have a Tesco Visa there is no extra charge added on either.

Also Martins Moneysavers site is usually pretty up to date with the latest offers.

Its a good idea to take a photocopy of passports and driving licences....saves a nightmare if they are lost or stolen.

Got a French Brother-in-law. We used to go over a lot but haven't been for about 3 years. Just got sick of the drive to be honest. It's a long way just to get to Dover for us Geordies.

Large stores such as Carrefour etc then we just use debit card. For small rural places then you have no other choice but cash. Some places I've seen haven't got round to electricity!

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys.

I think me and Mrs Secure have come to the conclusion that we'll take the cash in Euro's.

The reason is, we've been looking on the MSE site and we have one of the "Debit Cards From Hell" in that when we use it, they whack a load of charges on top.

The following comes from our banks website:

You will pay a charge of 1.5% (at least £1.99) on any cash you withdraw using your debit card at any Visa cash machine which is not
part of the Link Network or at any bank or building society which accepts the Visa card.

The charge may also apply if you buy foreign currency or traveller’s cheques at any outlet that provides foreign currency.

Withdrawing cash abroad: You will pay a charge of 1.5% (at least £1.99) on cash withdrawals abroad as well as a conversion fee of 2.75% of the sterling value of the transaction.

Card transaction abroad: You will pay a conversion fee of 2.75% of the sterling value of anything you buy using your card.

Buying good and services abroad: You will pay £1.25 for each transaction in a currency other than sterling (not cash withdrawals).

Don't understand the difference between the last two....do you? :confused:

Plus, we are at the mercy of Visa's exchange rates on the day of the transaction.

I'm beginning to feel ripped off several times over.....

Scenario: take money out of ATM with card.

1. Fee for doing so.

2. % fee for what, exactly????

3. At mercy of Visa's Xchange rate.

Beginning to wish we'd kept a Nationwide flex account open.

They made no charges and had a fair rate of exchange.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

One thing to watch out for, is these shops etc that offer you the transaction in £ sterling. A well known scam. They offer you the goods in sterling, and you think it's quite good, but the transaction offers you a poor exchange rate. Apparently , much better to accept the transaction in Euros and get the better exchange rate offered by your bank. (Most often , a better rate than anywhere else, even with the bank charges on it.)

Hi guys.

We're going away soon en vacances to France.

Chip and pin compatibilty is still a bit hit & miss there.

We don't really want to walk around with pockets stuffed with Euro's, so how would you pay for stuff?

I guess the UK banks' exchange rates for taking Euro's out of an ATM would be a bit steep?

When I went on the grand tour, France, Belgium, Luxemberg, Germany, I did not find any problem with an ATM card being used. But out of all those countries, the French, were rude and offensive. Germany were the most helpful.

Secure,
The wife has one of these:
Post Office Credit Card

Only use it for holidays in the US and Canada but no charges when used abroad. Just pay it off when you get back.

The Post Office credit card removes the holiday comedown caused by returning home to a credit card statement full of extra charges and fees by offering 0% commission on overseas purchases - getting rid of the standard 2.75% fee on all purchases.

The Post Office credit card will also waive cash handling fee on foreign currency purchased from the Post Office before the trip - saving another 2.5%.

Note that cardholders can't hold a positive balance on the card - i.e. it's not possible to 'pre-load' to go on holiday - but it's still possible to spend for free by paying off at the end of the month.

I once asked for a coca cola in a French shop but the shop assistant decided to not understand. I then asked for un coca cola followed by une coca cola followed by le coca cola followed by la coca cola followed by un coke, une coke etc etc ... in the end I just walked out. :confused:

We use a cash passport from Thomas Cook - you top it up and treat it like a pre-paid credit card since that is what it is :LOL: You can also buy it over the counter at the aforementioned travel agent and they'll get it up and running while you wait, like having linked cards etc.

We use it for the occasional purchase or to withdraw a couple or three hundred euros at a time. To be honest, all these charges probably all work out even in the end plus after a while you can spend so long working out what's what that it becomes burdensome mentally.

I once asked for a coca cola in a French shop but the shop assistant decided to not understand. I then asked for un coca cola followed by une coca cola followed by le coca cola followed by la coca cola followed by un coke, une coke etc etc ... in the end I just walked out. :confused:

:LOL: :LOL: Next time, try un coca :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back