PC Crashing with upgrades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently upgraded my old pc. With the spec listed below the upgrade I have fitted is the 350psu which replaced a 250psu. The system also used to have 3 memory modules (1gb - 512mb - 256mb) which was altered to 2 modules (2 x 1gb).

In this arrangement the PC works fine. However at the same time I also brought an additional 1gb memory module and a Novatech X1650 Pro 512MB 8x AGP graphics card. When adding either or both of these though the system becomes very unstable. Adding the memory causes the system to reboot, sometimes even before the windows loading screen appears.

The graphics card will usually appear to work for a few minutes but will then just freeze and/or then reboot. This is regardless of wheather the system is sat doing nothing or if apps are running. Also does the same if the memery is returned back to the original setup.

I was recommended the graphics card and PSU but am wondering now if the PSU isn't enough to run the system.

Also have all the latest drivers/updates etc..

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated

P4 1.8ghz
1Gb SD Ram PC3200
1Gb SD Ram PC2700
350W PSU
2 x 80G HDD
1 x DVD Drive
1 x DVD R/W Drive
1 x Soundblaster 5.1 Soundcard
1 x Radeon 8500 Graphics Card

Hope I haven't made it too confusing to read.

karlos

Sponsored Links
First thing that strikes me is possible memory or heat issues?

I see that you are using both PC3200 and PC2700 RAM modules. Depending on your motherboard (what is it?) the usual recommendation is to used matched pairs RAM. In theory you can use different speed and system will just throttle back to the slowest, but...
I would be tempted to try system with just 1GB and run a memory test e.g. This One . Then swap modules and run test again. If both pass then run test again with both fitted.

Are all fans CPU, Case, Graphics card running properly and free of dust etc.? Remove all cards, memory and adaptors and reseat after making sure system is free of dust and dirt.

It could be a PSU issue but I would have thought that 350 watts should be ok - assuming this working as it should.
Calculate your PSU requirements Here

thanks - will try the memory test.

Are all fans CPU, Case, Graphics card running properly and free of dust etc.? Remove all cards, memory and adaptors and reseat after making sure system is free of dust and dirt.
Yes-had most things out-all cleaned and reseated

Also forgot to post in previous message that the new graphics card crashes with both new memory setup and previous.

Sponsored Links
For the moment I would suggest just testing and confirming all ok with memory modules before tackling issues with graphics cards.

Not being sure where you are with your graphics card drivers (or what is required for each of your graphics cards) I would suggest that you consider uninstalling the driver. This can usually be done from Add/Remove programs but if the drivers are in any way "damaged" then it will be necessary to go into device manager and remove. After a reboot you should have a system with only Microsoft standard driver - may be a bit of a dog but should allow you to at least check the system further without crashing.

When you have a stable system you can load the graphics drivers etc.

Did you check out the link and input your system details for PSU calculation?

Back