PC knocks off broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not sure if its software or hardware related, so here goes...

everytime my PC turns on, be it from standby, hibernate, or power off, it kicks by broadband connection out.

Im with sky, my router reports the connection still there under the modem, but under ADSL port, there is no connection (ie no ip, MAC etc)

this only happens from this one machine, and Im not sure if its down to this PC, the router or my network infrastructure.

my network is thus...
Router-LAN Hub this then feeds 2 servers, 2 media centre PCs and my main machine by cable, it also connects to a netgear accesspoint downstairs (all my IT is in the loft so this is needed to get a decent signal downstairs.

the issue occurs weather plugged trough the router or via the hub.

wouldn't be a problem if it re-connected straight away, but it can take up to 15 mins to reconnect.

have tried the sky untechhnical help-line, but becuase it was working at that point, they were as much help as a chocolate teapot... :)

Sponsored Links
Dunno about your router or modem, but would you happen to be the Timtheenchahter who was after PSR175 spares a few years back on the Yamaha forums??

Nah crap memory. I was on there last week trying to locate a spare pitchbend for my keyboard. I noticed the username.
Yamaha in their infinite wisdom decided to put a variable resistor in rather than an optical sensor, knowing that the VR wears out. I can get through one in about 6 months when I'm gigging, but since they took over Kemble Music I didn't have a number to call for spares. Have found the new number now so happy days should be here again tomorrow. Now just got to strip the keyboard down ready for the new part. (almost 30 screws just to split the keyboard) Hmmmm.

Sponsored Links
About your problem though,,,. My set up is , 2x desktops plugged into a Netgear router then this is plugged into the cable modem.
Mine sometimes loses the internet and yet the G/friend's computer stays connected. Almost like the router isn't connecting with the modem, but only for my computer. I find if I restart my computer, it will work ok for about a week and sometimes a month before it happens again. Could be a fault with the router I think. If it were the modem then we'd both lose internet at the same time.

Back