Can I transfer files between pc's via a bb router?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I will swapping my fathers pc for a new one tomorrow, both are running xp professional with office 2003.
I was wondering what the easiest way is to transfer all his files from the old pc to the new one.
He has a broadband router that I can connect both machines to, is it just a case of setting them up as a mini network and transferring them somehow?

Any help appreciated, I'd work it out eventually but it would take a while!!

Sponsored Links
Yes, it should be possible to transfer files between PCs using a network router. In network settings make sure both machines have the same workgroup. On the old machine you will need to enable file sharing for say the C: drive, on the other machine open my network places and the C: drive should be accessable.

You need to enable file sharing on both machines, but you don't need to explicitly share any folders or drives - you could, if you like, use the "Shared Folders" folder that Windows XP provides by default.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, I've prited this out and will take it with me!!

Cheers

Didn't realise the router only has one port!

Can I still transfer the files in the same manner if I use a cross-over lead to link the machines?

In theory yes, but in practise it depends upon both NICs supporting this, because not all models do.

To achieve your original objective you could use one of the alternative methods, e.g. temporarily install the old HD in the new PC.

If you really want a network, perhaps for other reasons, then consider buying an Ethernet hub. You might find that retailers are stocking only switches these days, and not hubs, but that will do, even if it's overkill. You should be able to find something in the £15 to £20 range; hopefully less.

If it is different then I'll try that, I gave my brother-in-law a small 8 port 3com hub I found a work a couple of weeks back. I'll just nick that back for a while!
I'm a bit hesitant to start taking out hard drives in case something goes wrong, but do you mean install them both in the machine and have the new one as something like a G: drive then drag and drop to the C: drive?

Generally I'm with you on moving the HD - I never open the case unless there's no expedient alternative. However, the C:/G: drive drag/drop method is exactly what I mean.

The 3com you mention would be just the job.

Sponsored Links
Back