Enabling printing via router.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I have Googled this topic but have been unsucessful in setting up the print function.

I have a Thomson router with 4 PC's connected via Cat 6 cable.

One runs Win 7 and is connected to the printer both wired and wirelessly.

(Don't ask: sometimes the wireless connection goes t*ts-up and I revert to the cable...)

The fourth is out of the equation as it runs Ubuntu.

The other two run Win XP (one Home, one Professional).

What is the simplest way of enabling printing from these PC's via the router?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Monkeh. It's out of the equation in so much as I can't remember how to set it up, anyhow!

I have looked at the vid and altered the settings described but nothing doing.

Am I missing something obvious?

SecureSpark, is your printer a Network printer, connected directly to your router using CAT5e cable? If so, my recommendation would be to set a FIXED IP address in the printer. If your router is handing out IP addresses in the range 192.168.2.x, then I would suggest using 192.168.2.250 as the fixed IP address for your printer. (Change this address to reflect the actual range your router is assigning. Use IPCONFIG /all at the command line on a Windows PC to find the actual address assigned, and from that the range can be deduced.)

To set a fixed IP address in your printer, that may be done through the front panel of the printer, or it may be through a web-browser. Your printer manual should tell you how. You will also need to make sure the printer is "talking" to the router on port 9100, and if not, set it to port 9100.

On each PC, go into the Printer Properties, click on the Ports tab and Create a new Port. Select Standard TCP/IP port. Type in the IP address of whatever range you discovered in IPCONFIG, but set the last octet (group) to 250, so the IP address will look something like 192.168.2.250.
Set the Port Name to a name you can recognise, (or leave it as the IP address). If Windows does not set it automatically, set the Port Protocol to RAW, and ensure SNMP is NOT checked. Click OK all the way out, and then go back into Printer Properties and print a Test page. Hopefully it will work first time!

Sponsored Links
Astra, no, unfortunately it is just connected to a USB 2.0 socket on the PC.

I have made the changes in the video. I have tried to look for the printer on the two XP PC's: one shows several icons for the same printer (none of which seem to work) while the other can't find any printers at all... ;)

I had the same problem Sec. Printer was connected to my computer via usb port and I'd set up mine and hers computers as a LAN. I could access files on her computer and she could access files on mine, but only I could print. So if she wanted to print something out, she had to drop the file onto my computer then print from there.
I think you really need a network printer connected to the router to enable printing from more computers.
Best of luck with the Ubuntu comp though. Even I'm struggling to get my printer and computer to talk to each other now. (mines a Lexmark printer and the support for Linux from them is next to non existent) ;)

Thanks JJ.

Yeah, I have problems getting Linux based stuff to work properly. Almost enough to forgive MS products...Oh no! What am I saying??

There are some printer manufacturers who do have great support for Linux OS's HP and Epson, do have Linux drivers. I reckon I could get mine to work using a generic driver, but don't think it would do the scanning though (all in one printer).

Whilst it shouldn't be the case, XP units often have problems seeing W7.

Can you not attach the printer to one of the xp units?

Hi SecureSpark
As your printer is connected to the W7 box via USB, Windows will have to sort out the sharing!

Open Devices and Printers. Right click on the appropriate printer and go to Printer Properties. Click on the Sharing tab, and check the Share this Printer box. Change the share name to a short name without spaces, for example Sam-1660.

On the XP machine, open the Windows Firewall and check File and Printer Sharing.

Now make sure you can PING the W7 machine from the XP machine using either its IP address (obtained from IPCONFIG at the command prompt) or it Netbios address (computer name)

If the above is successful, on the XP machine you should be able to Add a Printer, Network Printer and point to the appropriate printer in the list. If that fails, then Add a Printer Local Printer, and then add a new port, Local Port and give it the name \\<ip address of WIN7 PC>\<sharename>.
Once the port is created, select the appropriate printer driver either from the list Windows provides or from the installation media supplied by the manufacturer. With all this done, you should be able to print to the printer **provided the WIN7 PC is on**.

HTH

edit: Just re-read your reply, Securespark. Please delete all instances of the printer on the XP machines before attempting the above.

OK, thanks again!

It is now printing from one of the XP machines, and I set it up without noticing your addendum.

I have not yet got round to trying the other XP machine but I shouldn't think there will be a problem.

Cheers Astra. Have a virtual pint on me!

OK. Been successfully printing from Mrs Secure's PC for a while now.

Now I'm trying to set up first born's Win XP machine.

I shouldn't think there will be a problem.

Famous last words!

He can ping my PC but I can't ping his, which I find odd.

Also, I can't find any printers on the list to point to (Maybe because they're not talking to each other properly)?

Any suggestions, please? I'm stuck!

If he can ping you, but not the other way around, it's 99% certain it's the Windows Firewall on your son's machine blocking your attempt to contact it. Go into the Network Properties, and, if you are unhappy about disabling the Windows Firewall, open its properties and ensure File and Printer Sharing and Remote Desktop are both checked (that is allowed). Now try pinging again. If still NBG, temporarily disable the firewall and try again. Please let us know how you get on.

USB prnt server will put your printer onto network and allow you to print independent of pc's and any os is not a problem you to print to ip address and install driver on each pc.

Sponsored Links
Back