pci express ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the ? is will any motherboard pci express slot take pci graphics card with dvi out ? as i am thinking of getting am2 mb,and athlon64bit x2 cpu ,putting 800mhz ddr2 on mb, and getting a graphics card with dvi out. the motherboard i was thinking of buying is an asrock am2xli. Any one had asrock before what are they like ? another ? is if the chip i have has a fsb speed of 2000mhz would i be better to get a motherboard with same fsb speed will it make any difference? things have changed so much since i last built a pc . the memory is faster that the old cpus lol any way all help gratefully received cheers folks

Sponsored Links
PCIE motherboards will only accept PCIE cards. The older PCI format is physically and electrically incompatible. There are plenty of PCIE graphics cards available with DVI out. I have used Asrock motherboards and had no problem with them, but as always you gets what you pay for. Any of the well known manufacturers boards should be fine - Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, etc etc.

What I normally do is choose the board with the features I want and then google for reviews to see if there's any reason I shouldn't buy it. Also you need to consider availablity. Any motherboard that can support the CPU FSB speed or greater, should be fine. If the MB FSB is lower than the CPU then you just end up bottlenecking the CPU's IO bandwidth.

I like the guys at Aria as the product pages have customer comments where you can post questions before you buy.

Pete

Basically what he said, Asrock boards are fine, but since it looks like you are planning on putting a fair decent system together, I'd inverst a bit more on the board. High performance ram also makes a huge difference but also adds a lot to the price.
There are boards with both AGP and PCIX, but you cant get a pci vga card into a pcix slot (well you probably could.....but dont try!)

hi baldy01 eggplant cheers thanks for that i was thinking same baldy that mb fsb speed should be as fast as cpu but what does this mean? asrock mb fsb speed 1000mhz (2.0GT/s) what does the 2.0gts mean? and an asus mb says 2000/1600MT/S and whats the mts for ?. Yes i built the pc i am on now about 5 years ago but now my athlon 1gig is olddddddddddddddddd not really slow i have always bought generic ram is it that slower? mind u the new ddr2 800mhz will be faster than my old 133sdram lollll any way thanks for replies trouble is its all changed so much in 5 years

Sponsored Links
The FSB has a clock. Most modern FSBs do what is called Double Data Rate. This effectively means that a new data word is transfered on each transition of the clock rather than each cycle. Frequency is measured in cycles per second with units of Hertz, so a clock signal that goes down and back up again 1000,000,000 times per second is running at 1000,000KHz or 1000MHz or 1GHz. Which way you say it is a matter of convenience.

DDR means that a data word is clocked on to the bus on the rising edge (- to +) and the next on the falling edge (+ to -) of the clock signal.
So you get two data words transferred for each clock cyccle. The terminology MT/s or GT/s means Mega or Giga Transfers per second. Our 1GHz clock gets us 2GT/s or 2000MT/s, however you want to say it. Different MFRs use different terminology so its as well to be aware of the difference.

cheers thanks for that nice to now what i am planning on buying . i see you know your hardware cheers thanks for that

Back